Skip to main content

WOMEN | Cup Defeat


11:20 15th February 2016

by Jay Freeman

Exit at quarter final stage

Wolves Women 0
Coventry United Ladies 4 (Torkildsen 42, Hall 55, Dermody 58, Ryder 75)

Wolves Women were well beaten by Coventry United Ladies in the quarter finals of the Birmingham County FA Cup.

Wolves, playing their first match for three weeks after bad weather forced two games to be called off, came undone in a second half which saw United take control.

Coventry United, previously Coventry City Ladies before their 94-year association with Coventry City ended last year, called Wolves into action early on when Alison Hall worked her way onto Amber Hughes’ chipped delivery but goalkeeper Lucy Gardner easily collected the ball.

Hughes then got the better of Jen Anslow, who had dropped deep, and delivered a ball into Marie Gauntlett, but her drilled low effort was caught by Gardner.

After a pinpoint Hughes cross, Wolves captain Anna Perks put in a superb challenge at the far post to keep the game goalless, which left Hall dazed.

Coventry were almost rewarded with the game’s opener when Anna Wilcox crossed to Hughes who unleashed a shot from the 18-yard line, but her effort went inches wide of the post.

Wolves’ first chance came on the half-hour mark when Kimberley Holden drove from 25-yards out but Hattie James could not latch onto her off-target shot.

The game opened up when Dom Luke set up Jess Davies leaving Coventry just about able to clear while at the other end, Gauntlett played Jade Brook on goal but her effort failed to cause Wolves a problem.

The visitors took the lead just before half time on a freezing cold afternoon at Keys Park, when Gardner palmed away a deep free kick and Cristina Torkildsen was on hand to neatly tap in from close range at the far post.

Coventry came out strong after the break and almost enjoyed the perfect start to the second half when Gauntlett set up Dermody but she volleyed an effort well wide of the post.

Hall doubled the visitors’ lead when she latched onto a whipped ball into the box by Nikki Miles and made no mistake from close range.

It went from bad to worse for Wolves moments later as the hosts were caught out at the back and Dermody was allowed through to scramble home almost level with the goal line.

Coventry United, who currently lie in fourth place in the FA Women’s Premier League Southern Division table, extended their lead when Hughes laid the ball onto Sammi Ryder in the middle of the box and she tapped in from just a few yards out.

James could have set up a late Wolves consolation from the tightest of angles, but her lobbed shot from distance was caught by Coventry goalkeeper Susan Wood.

Wolves Women manager Steve Cullis said:  “It’s a disappointing result - Coventry United played well and deserved it today.

“For me there are a lot more positives out of the game than what people might think.

“The players, credit to them, gave it their all until the end.

“If you look at our back four, they have been pretty consistent throughout the season but it’s just one of those days where Coventry were better across the pitch overall.

“It was always going to be tough for Anna Perks and Nat Widdall but as a collective and as a group we did not do enough.

“I am disappointed but I am not going to be blaming any player but we just weren’t good enough.

“The big thing for me was the speed at which Coventry played.

“Having quite a stop-start season has not helped and going into the game with that mantra was difficult.”

Wolves Women: Gardner, Cross, Anslow, Luke, Widdall, Perks, Cross, McQuilkin, James, Holden Sailsman.  SUBS: Lock, Price, Richards, Johnson, Davies.

    Related Articles