Skip to main content

Women Boosted By Late Rally


20:21 28th July 2013

by Matt Sacco

Report from latest friendly

Wolves 2 (Timmins-Ray 90, Large 90+1)

Wrexham 2 (Hayes 57, 75)


Wolves Women produced a remarkable late fightback to earn a draw in an unusual pre-season friendly at home against Welsh side Wrexham.


The first half saw Wolves dominate to the extent that Wrexham rarely saw the ball outside of their own half. Despite the large quantities of possession, Wolves didn’t create the amount of chances you would expect, and failed to convert those that presented themselves with Becky Hall, Dani Selmes and Jordan Timmins-Ray all missing good opportunities to put the home side ahead.


Wolves went in at the break frustrated at not being ahead, but will have been happy with the quality of their football, passing well and controlling the game.


The second half started in the same vein, with Wolves the most likely to grab the first goal. However Wrexham opened the scoring as the hour-mark approached.  Wolves were once again let down by their defending at a set-piece and Ash Hayes was on hand to fire past Natalie Hall against the run of play.

Wolves made three changes to give some of the younger players a chance as the second half wore on with Summer Holmes, Lauren Williams and Charlotte McElroy replacing the returning Natalie Widdal, Vicki Palin and Natalie Hall.


With 15 minutes to go, Hayes added a second goal after turning her marker and firing into the top of the net. Despite having much of the possession and being largely comfortable, Wolves were being wasteful in their finishing, with Selmes and Palmer squandering great chances to add to the goals scored last weekend.


With seconds remaining on the clock, Timmins-Ray, pictured, finally got the goal that Wolves’ attractive passing deserved, with a close-range finish finally finding the net. Moments later, a Wolves free-kick found its way back out to Rebecca Large, who curled a 25 yard effort past the keeper to rescue a draw.


The full time whistle blew seconds later to a lot of mixed emotions - while it showed great character to find two late goals, it was frustrating for Wolves to have controlled much of the game but not have more to show for it. At the end of the day Wrexham took two of the three chances they had and Wolves could only take two out of many.


After the game, Captain Natalie Hall looked back on the 90  minutes and the changes brought in by new manager Trevor Mullings.  Hall said: “Today was the beginning of the transition to our new management team which somewhat impacted upon the way we played.


“As a team we are trying to adapt to new ideas and though today's game wasn't the best in terms of the way we played, there were positives to take, particularly coming back from two goals down.


“With each game we will improve and I'm really excited about the season ahead”.


Mullings himself reflected on his first game in charge, adding: “We started the game very slowly, playing too direct with the long ball. However we created chances and had three attempts on goal.


“In the second half, we conceded from a corner with players not getting tight enough to their player.


“However I felt we played some good football, keeping the ball for 7 to 8 passes and using the flanks.


“We created chances again in the second half, but we need to be more clinical in front of goal, and we conceded the second goal by losing possession in the opposition half and not clearing our lines.


“I’m happy with our attitude to come back with two late goals - we showed character, above all lots of positives and there is lots to work on.”


Team: N. Hall (McElroy), Widdal (Williams), Rimmer, Perks, Large, Morris, B. Hall, Palin (Holmes), Timmins-Ray, Palmer, Selmes.


    Related Articles