Dean Saunders has emphasised that his remoulding of the Wolves squad is a long-term plan, but says that if the right player becomes available in what is left of the January transfer window, he will push to bring them in.
The Welshman took over at Molineux a week into 2013, and has spent his initial weeks at the club assessing the squad left over by predecessor Ståle Solbakken.
So far this month, Jermaine Pennant has returned to Stoke, while Frank Nouble has joined Ipswich, and Saunders is keen for the club to complete further deals before the month draws to a close.
"It is getting clearer and clearer to me and I am assessing the squad day by day," the manager said ahead of Saturday's visit of Blackpool (3pm).
"We have to shed a few players for the sake of the spirit in the camp. There is the issue of balance as well, because we've got a lot of wingers at the club, and a lot of right-backs, but only four strikers and one left-back.
"That's because I am the fourth manager here in a short space of time and different players have been added to the squad and have got contracts which have to be honoured."
While admitting that he wants to shed around six or seven players 'in the long-term', Saunders is still keen to bring new faces into the club, but only if they are an improvement on the personnel currently at his disposal.
"At the moment I am tracking some players to try and bring in," he says. "I have got agents phoning me all the time and throwing different names at me.
"Ideally, you want to get the best players you can. If we can't do it we can't do it, but I'm tracking players who are better than what we've got.
"I've spoken many times about the sort of player I want. The secret of football is getting good players to work hard and get them organised. I've got to sign players with the right mentality - not just good players but ones who will work hard, because if they don't and are not right for the club you've got nothing."
The boss confirmed he was meeting the Board at yesterday’s scheduled Board meeting, having revealed earlier in the week that further talks were planned about potential moves before the deadline shuts at 11pm next Thursday.
While not being drawn the identity of any potential targets, Saunders did say that he is monitoring the availability of several players from the Barclays Premier League.
"I'm looking at players who are better than what we've got and most of them are in the league above," he says. "They also cost a lot of money, so the club has got to make that decision.
"I just pass the names on to the Chairman and to Jez and they look at it."
Whilst conceding that his hand is being forced somewhat with the impending end of the window, Saunders also says that any further departures this month will form part of a long-term plan at Molineux.
"You try to avoid making mistakes as a manager in letting people go that you shouldn't or bringing the wrong people in, and sometimes you do.
"So I've got to make an educated guess on some of them. One thing is for sure, we've got to get some money off the wage bill.
"I can't do that in a week - it might take two years."
After relegation from the Premier League last summer, Wolves sold Michael Kightly, Steven Fletcher and Matt Jarvis after all three wanted to remain in the top flight, and Saunders acknowledges that there is still interest from other clubs the current Wolves crop.
"I'm getting different offers for our players as we speak - lots of them,” he added.
"I'm not going to give names, but we've had bids in for players and I'm not going to leave us short in any area. There are other positions where we may say 'yes' to the deals.
"We'll be doing some deals before the window shuts."