Skip to main content

Hammers Hit Late Winner


22:23 19th April 2013

Disappointment after Wolves fight back.

West Ham 3 (Maguire 11, Lee 46, Lledget 81)     

Wolves 2 (Winnall 59, Evans 71)

For the second time in a week, Wolves under 21s lost by the odd goal in five against opposition from London after coming from two down to pull level. On Monday it was Arsenal that did the damage, and on Friday West Ham edged it at Romford’s Rush Green home.

There was an early half chance for Kieron Bywater but he failed to control the ball on the rock hard and bumpy surface allowing Marian Kello to collect.

After a fairly innocuous opening to the game, West Ham moved into an 11th minute lead when Sean Maguire intercepted Jordan Cranston’s header back to Kello. Maguire rounded the keeper and his shot just crept over the line as George Elokobi attempted to clear.

Kello then had to save from Elliot Lee who had been played in by Sebastian Lledget before the keeper did well to clear an over-hit backpass from Jamie Reckord as Lee closed in.

West Ham were having the better of the chances and Maguire volleyed over after the visiting defence failed to clear George Moncur’s corner. Then Moncur himself was close with a curling effort that flew past the far post.

There was a chance for Wolves four minutes before the break when Sam Winnall (pictured) latched onto Pelly Ruddock’s poor clearance. But the striker was forced wide and from an acute angle he could only cross and Frazer Shaw headed clear at the far post.

Just before the break it took the combined efforts of Ruddock and Frazer Shaw to bring an enterprising run by Ismail to a halt.

Half-Time: West Ham 1 Wolves 0

Jamie Tank for Elokobi was an interval change for Wolves who conceded a second goal just 20 seconds after the resumption as Lee was given the time in the box to lash a shot into the top corner. 

After Samir Bihmoutine had shot well wide, Wolves made a second change with Lewis Clarkson replacing Tim Jakobsson. 

Kello saved well from Maguire before Winnall reduced the deficit in the 59th minute after he ran into the West Ham box and held off a challenge before shooting low past Baxter.

Ismail was only just wide with a 30-yard free-kick that he curled over a six man Hammers wall before Wanderers drew level in the 71st minute when Lee Evans drove home from the edge of the box with the ball appearing to take a deflection on its way past Baxter.

There was a brief melee involving several players after Winnall and Pelly Ruddock got involved in a bout of pushing and shoving. Order was soon restored and both were booked.

West Ham grabbed what proved to be the winning goal nine minutes from the end. Substitute Nathan Mavila appeared to overhit his centre but Moncur managed to return the ball to the middle and Lledget ran in to slide the ball home from eight-yards.

Hammers: Baxter, Driver, Shaw, Lledget, Nasha, Ruddock, Bywater, Moncur, Lee (Mavila 77), Maguire, Turgott (Murlow 15).

Unused subs: Nemrava, Onariase, Page.

Wolves: Kello, Reckord, Cranston, Evans, Elokobi (Tank 45), Ihiekwe, Ismail, Jakobsson (Clarkson 51), Winnall, Price, Bihmoutine.

Unused subs: Parry, Cotman, Iorfa.

Referee: A. Young.

    Related Articles