Skip to main content

Disappointing Defeat


17:08 17th February 2014

Under 21s fall to the Black Cats.

Wolves 0

Sunderland 2 (Agnew 35, Laidler-pen 53)

The Wolves under 21s fell to a disappointing 2-0 defeat when they met Sunderland at a windswept Compton Park on Monday afternoon.

The visitors gave an early warning of the danger they were to pose as they dominated the opening play. It wasn’t until the ninth minute that the Sunderland goal was threatened with keeper Joel Dixon diving to take Lee Evans’s 25-yard drive.

Dixon did fumble a cross from new boy Kortney Hause but a defender was on hand to clear the loose ball. 

A timely interception by Scott Harrison denied Ibrahim Keita a clear sight of goal when it looked as if Liam McAlinden’s angled cross was going to reach him, and from Anthony Forde’s corner McAlinden headed over the near angle.

In the 19th minute Wolves were awarded a penalty when Matt Doherty was felled by Liam Agnew in the heart of the Sunderland box. But McAlinden’s spot kick lacked power and Dixon dived to his left to save.

Aaron McCarey saved a long distance effort from Connor Oliver but the keeper was at fault as Sunderland moved into a 35th minute lead. He cleared the ball straight to George Honeyman who quickly slipped a pass to Agnew and he had the easiest task in converting into the empty net.

Oliver had two chances to increase the lead before the break. He ballooned the ball over the bar from a good position but his 30-yard punt at goal in stoppage time was a lot closer.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Sunderland 1

Kristian Kostrna was an interval change for Wolves as he replaced Keita.

Ethan Ebanks-Landell cut out a dangerous cross from Adam Mitchell as centre-forward Jordan Laidler lay in wait, before Sunderland doubled their advantage in the 53rd minute.

Honeyman ran into the box and went down under a challenge from Ebanks-Landell. The referee immediately pointed to the spot and Laidler made no mistake hammering the ball high into the net.

Evans headed wide following a cross from McAlinden, and then two successive Forde corners were dealt with by the visitors defence.

McAlinden ran in from the right and beat his marker before running in along the by-line. It looked promising for Wolves but the striker’s low cross was smothered by Dixon.

After winning possession in the centre circle, Honeyman ran to the edge of the home area before blasting the ball high over the bar. 

Eusebio Bencessi opened up a chance for Evans but the midfielder fired wide. And, as the minutes ticked away, another Eusebio cross was met by McAlinden whose shot was blocked and Kostrna’s follow up went high and wide. 

Wolves: McCarey, Doherty, Hause, Davis, Ebanks-Landell, Elokobi, Bancessi, Evans, McAlinden, Keita (Kostrna 45), Forde.

Unused subs: Flatt, Reid, Iorfa, Whittall.

Sunderland: Dixon, Cartwright, Ferguson, Oliver (Smith 84), Harrison, Egan, Mitchell (Gooch 84), Agnew, Laidler, Honeyman, Holland (Lawson 80).

Unused subs: McNamee, Burke.

Referee: I. Dudley.

    Related Articles