Skip to main content

Under 21s In Molineux Comeback


17:26 26th August 2013

Two goals in two minutes point the way to victory

Wolves 2 (Forde 67, Cassidy 69)

Stoke City 1 (Thomas 7)

After falling behind to an early Stoke free-kick at Molineux, the Wolves youngsters hit back with two goals in two minutes midway through the second half to claim their first points of the campaign. 

After making the early running Wanderers fell behind in the seventh minute after City winger Brek Shea had been fouled just outside the home area. Adam Thomas’s free-kick took a deflection off Sam Whittall on its way past Aaron McCarey.

The keeper then had to make an athletic save to push out a powerful drive from Florent Cuvelier before Jamie Reckord was penalised for pulling back George Waring. 

From Cuvelier’s free-kick Mason Watkins’ header took a deflection to give the visitors a corner. Charlie Ward’s flag-kick was met by Waring whose shot on the turn went high over the bar.

After Reckord had been booked for a foul on Maurice Edu, Anthony Forde wasn’t far away from an equaliser with a low, 20-yard effort that Stoke keeper Dale Eve managed to turn aside.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Stoke 1

Both sides made changes at the start of the new half with Kristian Kostrna coming on for Kevin Foley and, for City, James Alabi replaced Shea.

Twice in the opening stages the Stoke goal came under threat. Robbie Parry’s low cross was a fraction behind Liam McAlinden and when McAlinden took a turn at crossing moments later, a collision between Jake Cassidy and Eve left the City goalkeeper in need of treatment before he could continue.

Forde’s inswinging corner was cleared before another Wolves change saw Michael Ihiekwe replacing Parry. 

Wolves were starting to dominate the proceedings and after Forde was too high with a 25-yard free-kick, McAlinden prodded the ball wide as he stretched to meet Cassidy’s low cross. 

On the hour mark, McAlinden beat two men in the area with some neat footwork before firing inches over the bar.

But the equaliser that the home team so richly deserved came in the 67th minute and it was a goal of the highest quality with a move which began deep in defence.

George Elokobi pushed the ball to Whittall who then took a return pass from Kostrna before feeding Jack Price whose slide rule pass was pounced on and converted by Forde who hit a left foot angled drive into the far corner of Eve’s goal.  

Then, just two minutes later, Cassidy got in on the act turning inside his marker as he ran into the area before unleashing a shot that flew over Eve.

Stoke posed little danger in the closing stages as Wolves came close to increasing their advantage. 

Cassidy was wide with a bullet of a near post header after a Forde centre, and Eve made a tremendous save as he tipped over a piledriver from Price.

From the corner conceded, taken by Forde, there was a brief scramble in the Stoke goalmouth before McAlinden turned and shot straight at Eve. In the dying seconds McAlinden went close again shooting just over the near angle.

Wolves: McCarey, Foley (Kostrna 45), Reckord, Whittall (capt), Elokobi, Ebanks-Landell, Forde, Price, Cassidy, McAlinden, Parry (Ihiekwe 51).

Unused: Flatt, Moli, Jakobsson.

Booking: Reckord (32 – foul).

Stoke: Eve, Keane (capt), Wheeler, Ward, Grant, Watkins, Thomas, Edu, Waring, Cuvelier, Shea (Alabi 45).

Unused subs: Gomez, Bachmann, Rossi, Scott.

Referee: J. Brooks.

Attendance: 286.

    Related Articles