Skip to main content

Eusebio Treble Spurs Wolves


17:42 2nd December 2013

Under 21s come from behind to record fine win.


Wolves Under 21s 3 (Eusebio 5, 20, 56-pen) 

Tottenham Hotspur 1 (Ebanks-Landell OG 2)

After suffering an early setback against Spurs at Compton Park, the Wolves Under 21s hit back in style to record a 3-1 victory with Eusebio Bancessi recording his first hat-trick for the club.

In a frenetic opening spell Jake Cassidy headed over a cross from Zeli Ismail before Spurs took soemthing of a fortunate lead in the second minute.

Kenneth McEvoy drilled in a short, low cross from the right and although Wayne Hennessey managed to push the ball out it hit Ethan Ebanks-Landell on the ankle and rolled back over the line.

Three minutes later Wolves were on level terms thanks to a well worked goal. Lee Evans passed the ball inside to Cassidy and he helped it on to Bancessi  who rammed an unstoppable shot past Jordan Archer.

The keeper then raced from his line to snatch the ball off the feet of Ismail as he ran through the middle. And Ismail was unlucky with a tremendous shot from 20-yards that took a hefty deflection and flew narrowly wide.

Wolves moved into the lead after 20 minutes following an Ismail corner. Archer appeared to fumble the ball in a congested six-yard box and Bancessi took advantage by prodding the ball over the line from close quarters.

Spurs threatened through McEvoy who hit a low shot that was comfortably claimed by Hennessey as Wolves continued to enjoy tha bulk of the attacking play.

Cassidy went on a run from the halfway line and cleverly held off the challenge of his marker but his shot from just outside the box was just too high.

Half-Time: Wolves 2 Spurs 1

It took a good save from Archer to prevent Jack Price from bagging a third seconds after the resumption. Kevin Foley’s cross was half cleared to the midfielder whose shot flew through a sea of legs with the keeper having little chance of following the ball until the last second.

But Archer was beaten again in the 56th minute – this time from the spot after a penalty award that didn’t go down too well with the visiting defenders. Ryan Fredericks challenged Evans just as the Welsh mifielder was shooting at goal.

The referee was right up with play and he immeduately pointed to the spot leaving Bancessi with the chance of completing his treble – a chance that he didn’t squander.

Bancessi was fouled just outside the box as he ran onto a return pass from Cassidy. From Foley’s free-kick George Elokobi climbed high to deliver a powerful header that went straight at Arclher.

Evans saw a shot deflected behind and he held his head in disbelief as the referee awarded a goal kick, then Eusebio was inches away from a fourth goal with a cross-shot that whistled past the far post.

Spurs tried hard to cut the deficit in the closing minutes and after Shaquile Coulthirst had headed narrowly wide, Cameron Lancaster smashed a shot against the post in stoppage time.  

Wolves: Hennessey, Foley, Elokobi, Davis, Ihiekwe, Ebanks Landell, Bancessi (Whittall 83), Price, Cassidy, Evans, Ismail.

Unused subs: Tank, Flatt, Cranston, Parry.

Spurs: Archer, Fredericks, Stewart (McQueen 68), Veljkovic, Ball (McEneff 58), Gallifuoco, McEvoy, Bentaleb, Lancaster, Ward (Coulibaly 58), Coulthirst.

Unused sub: Miles.

Referee: N. Radford.

    Related Articles