Skip to main content

Winnall's Late Winner For Under 21s


22:44 4th March 2013

Wolves hit back in seven goal thriller with table toppers.

Wolves  4 (Jakobsson 60, Evans 65, Veljkovic-og 80, Winnall 87)

Tottenham Hotspur 3 (Coulthirst 6, Munn 29, Parrett 76)

Two down at the break, the Molineux under 21s hauled themselves back into the game with table topping Spurs and, even though they fell behind again, late goals from Liam McAllinden and Sam Winnall ensured a memorable victory.

Although Wolves made the early running with a Zeli Ismail cross flying over the six-yard box, it was the visitors that took the lead in the sixth minute with what was their first attempt at goal. 

The home defence conceded possession just outside their own area and although Aljaz Cotman did well to block Dean Parrett’s shot, the loose ball ran to Shaquile Coulthirst who converted into the empty net.

Another moment of hesitation almost led to a second goal for Coulthirst but Cotman managed to get the ball away before there was a chance at the other end for Anthony Forde when Ismail’s cross ran to him but Ryan Fredericks threw himself in front of the midfielder’s shot to block.

In the 29th minute Coulthirst beat the offside trap and homed in on goal only to be thwarted by the outstretched legs of Cotman. But the respite was to be short as seconds later the Wolves keeper could only parry a fierce effort from Nabil  Bentaleb and Jack Munns followed up to hammer the ball into the roof of the net.

After Ismail had been tripped outside the Spurs area, Tim Jakobsson hit a free-kick that drew a near post save from Lawrence Vigouroux. The corner he conceded, taken by Ismail, was cleared.

A good through ball by Forde looked as if it had played McAlinden in but Vigouroux had spotted the danger and he just beat the striker to the ball.

A free-kick from near the corner flag almost led to a third Tottenham goal. Christian Ceballos fired over the kick and Giancarlo Gallifuoco, with a point-blank far post header, sent the ball across the goal and wide on the far side.

Just before the break, Cotman did well to hold on to a 20-yard drive from Ceballos.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Spurs 2

Two minutes after the restart, Vigouroux made a great save as he tipped over a powerful shot from Forde following a cross from Ismail.

Then a tremendous burst of speed saw Parrett outstrip the home defenders but Cotman spread himself to save with his lags once more.

Ismail did find the net in the 54th minute only to be flagged offside. But in the 60th minute a low, angled shot by Jakobsson beat Vigouroux’s dive to reduce the deficit with Jack Price having set up the chance.

The goal clearly shook the visitors and just five minutes later, Wanderers were back on level terms as McAlinden headed Ismail’s cross back into the goalmouth where Lee Evans was waiting to head home.

Ismail, with some deft footwork, beat off the challenge of Spurs substitute Kevin Stewart and worked a shooting angle before testing Vigoroux with a low shot.  But Spurs regained the lead in the 76th minute as Parrett hit a 22-yard dipping shot over the head of Cotman.

Wolves had already replaced Jordan Cranston with Jamie Reckord and another change saw Winnall coming on for Jakobsson. And the two substitutes combined to create an equaliser after 80 minutes. Winnall pushed a pass wide to Reckord and his low cross was turned into his own goal by Milos Veljkovic who was under pressure with McAlinden breathing down his neck.

Then, in the 87th minute, Winnall netted the winner as he tucked the ball over the line from close quarters after Vigouroux failed to hold on to a low shot from the industrious McAlinden. The home fans had to endure three added minutes during which Munns saw his shot come back off the post. But there was no denying Steve Weaver’s youngsters as they ended Tottenham’s unbeaten sequence in the Elite section of the League.

Wolves: Cotman, Whittall, Cranston (Reckord 71), Evans, Tank, Ihiewke (capt), Ismail (Gorman 83) , Jakobsson (Winnall 79), McAlinden, Price, Forde.

Unused subs: Flatt, Parry.

Spurs: Vigouroux, Fredericks (Stewart 61), Byrne (Bartram 76), Luongo (capt), Gallifuoco, Veljkovic, Munns, Bentaleb (McEvoy 71), Coulthirst, Parrett, Ceballos.

Unused subs: Priestley.

Referee: G. Stetton.

Attendance: 193.

    Related Articles