Skip to main content

Late Point Saver


22:05 11th February 2013

Under 21s hit back from two goal deficit.

Wolves 2 (McAlinden 58, Doherty pen 90+3)

Southampton 2 (Sinclair 16, Isgrove 48)

After looking as if they were heading for a fourth consecutive defeat after Southampton had moved into a two goal lead at Molineux, Wolves hit back to take a point although it took a stoppage time penalty from Matt Doherty to complete the comeback.

After a chanceless opening ten minutes Joe Curtis went down over Jonathan Flatt’s arms as the keeper pushed the ball away but the Wolves man had clearly got there first.

Southampton moved into a 16th minute lead when Omar Rowe’s short, driven cross was backheeled home by Jake Sinclair with the ball creeping just inside the far post.

Jack Price went into the book for tripping Lloyd Isgrove as Wolves struggled to make an impact on the game.

Flatt had to fist away a curling centre from Matt Targett before the Molineux side forced a corner when Zeli Ismail’s cross was turned behind. But Anthony Forde’s flag kick was cleared with ease.

Jamie Tank then conceded possession to Rowe in midfield. The Saints winger took the ball to the edge of the box and he forced Flatt into a full length save. The loose ball was played back to Rowe and this time Flatt held on to the low drive that followed.

A good run from Ismail ended with his centre being headed behind at the near post. Forde’s corner landed in the heart of the goalmouth where there was a brief scramble before it was cleared.

As the interval approached, Wolves enjoyed their best attacking spell of the half with Forde shooting wide with an angle effort, before crosses from Price and Forde were cleared by the visiting defence.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Saints 1

Just three minutes into the second half Southampton doubled their advantage thanks to a fine individual effort from Isgrove who rode several challenges as he cut in from the right into the Wolves area before prodding the ball past Flatt.

But ten minutes later Liam McSAlinden gave his side hope when he dived to head home a cross from Price.

The goal seemed to breathe new life into Wolves and the Saints defenders had to work hard to clear a series of attacks before Michael Ihiewke headed narrowly over from a Robbie Parry corner, Parry having come on as a replacement for Ismail.

Flatt was at his best as he turned aside a fierce shot on the turn from Sinclair before Ihiewke was booked for a late challenge on Isgrove, and Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse for dissent a few moments later.

When Ihiewke fouled Isgrove again, just ten minutes after his original offence, the outcome was inevitable and a second yellow left Wolves to play out the final eight minutes with ten men. 

The game was in the third and final minute of stoppage time when McAlinden fired a cross into the Southampton area and the ball struck Aaron Martin’s arm. The referee pointed to the spot and after long protests from the visitors had been waved away, Doherty strode up to smash home the spot kick and secure a point.

Wolves: Platt, Doherty, Reckord (capt), Evans, Tank, Ihiekwe, Ismail (Parry 59), Price, Cassidy, McAlinden, Forde.

Unused subs: Jakobsson, McCarey, Cranston, Whittall.

Bookings: Price (22 – foul), Ihiewke (72 – foul).

Sending-Off: Ihiewke (82 – foul – second bookable offence).

Saints: Gazzaniga, Chambers, Target, Stephens (capt), Martin, Turnbull, Isgrove, Ward-Prowse, Sinclair, Curtis, Rowe.

Unused subs: Gape, Cropper, Young, Ariyibi, Moore.

Bookings: Ward-Prowse (76 – foul), Gazzaniga (84 – time wasting).

Referee: M. D’Aguilar.

Attendance: 208.

    Related Articles