Skip to main content

Reds Grab Controversial Winner


22:44 18th March 2013

Narrow defeat for under 21s.

Wolves 1 (Parry 2)

Liverpool 2 (Coady-pen 30, Dunn 70)

A controversial refereeing decision led to a Liverpool winner in a tight under 21s contest at the Bucks Head.

Wanderers got off to a dream start as Robbie Parry fired them into the lead with less than two minutes gone with a low shot from the edge of the box that went just inside the post. 

Liverpool were forced back in the minutes that followed and after Sam Winnall had been lectured by the referee for a heavy challenge on Ryan McLaughlin, there was another chance for Parry as he ran in on a loose ball in the visitors box. But this time his shot went over the far angle.

Liverpool’s first real chance came in the 17th minute as Jack Dunn sprinted onto a low through ball. Jonathan Flatt had spotted the danger and he just won the chase for the ball collecting just inside the box.

Some slick work by Tim Jakobsson and Winnall almost led to a second Wolves goal as Liam McAlinden raced into the box but, with a defender on his shoulder, he hurried his shot and was well wide of the mark.

The Reds drew level on the half hour from the spot. Full-back McLaughlin took the ball to the by-line and went down as Jordan Cranston challenged. Conor Coady buried the penalty.

In the minutes leading up to the break Jamie Tank headed wide following a Zeli Ismail corner whilst Flatt did well to beat away a stinging effort from Dunn.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Liverpool 0

Wolves were struggling to get the ball clear in the minutes after the break and McLaughlin was close with an angled drive that was deflected inches wide of the far post.

The home goal had an amazing escape in the 53rd minute. Joao Teixeira ran into the box and played the ball into the path of Nacho whose goalbound shot struck team-mate Adam Morgan just in front of the line and bounced off him wide of the post.

There was a chance for Wolves when Winnball ran onto Michael Ihiekwe’s slide rule pass but Reds keeper Peter Gulacsi knocked the ball away.

Flatt saved brilliantly from Dunn who looked odds on to score with the keeper somehow getting a hand to a rising drive. But seconds later, in the 70th minute, Dunn did find the net albeit in dubious circumstances. 

Ismail had possession of the ball when he was tackled from behind by Craig Roddan. It was a clear foul but the referee waved play on and Dunn raced clear before sliding the ball past Flatt.

The goal understandably knocked some of the stuffing out of the home side but they still got forward at every opportunity. In the dying seconds Flatt made another fine save to deny Nacho whilst the hard working Winnall and McAlinden tried, without success, to fnd a way past the Liverpool defence.

Wolves: Flatt, Whittall, Cranston, Price (Moli 87), Tank, Ihiekwe (capt), Ismail, Jakobsson, McAlinden, Winnall, Parry (Kellerman 76).

Unused subs: Dutton, Iorfa, Keita.

Bookings: Price (47 – foul), Cranston (73 – foul).

Liverpool: Gulacsi, McLaughlin, Roddan, Sama, Jones, Coady (capt), Dunn, Teixeira, Morgan, Nacho (Baio 90), Ibe.

Unused subs: Petersson, Fulton, Maguire, Bijev.

Referee: G.J. Jonsson.

Attendance: 655.

    Related Articles