Skip to main content

Wolves Not Wild About Harry


21:44 31st March 2014

Under 21s lose to Foxes at Molineux.

Wolves 0

Leicester City 1 (Panayiotou 55)

A goal from Leicester’s Harry Panayiotou ten minutes after the break condemned the Wolves under 21s to defeat at Molineux on Monday evening.

The opening minutes were spent in the Wolves half as the visitors poured forward with Joe Dodoo getting in the first shot of the game, a long distance effort that was far too high to trouble Jon Flatt in the home goal.

Tom Hopper’s low drive took a hefty deflection but the ball flew straight to Flatt and then Jamie Tank had to put a driven cross from Dodoo behind for a corner.

In the 19th minute Michael Cain rode three tackles as he ran into the area and worked a shooting angle. His shot was blocked by Tank but the loose ball ran to Dodoo who hit a rising drive that drew an acrobatic save from Flatt.

The half was at its midway point before the City goal came under serious threat. Robbie Parry raced down the right flank and cut inside hoping to get on the end of a one-two with Ibrahim Keita but the return pass was just too heavy.

A low cross from Dodoo ran through the six-yard box to Panayiotou who quickly returned the ball into the heart of the goalmouth where Hopper shot over from close quarters.

Tank made a difficult clearance when facing his own goal following a cross from Kieran Kennedy as Leicester continued to boss the attacking play.

City keeper Adam Smith had little trouble in collecting a far post header from Tim Jakobsson who was then wide of the mark from the edge of the box after running onto a Parry lay off. 

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Leicester 0

Smith was forced into action within two minutes of the restart as he save at Sam Whittall’s feet after the home skipper had chased Jamie O’Hara’s through ball into the box.

The same two players linked up again moments later and this time Whittall’s shot was deflected narrowly wide for a corner after he had taken a return pass from O’Hara.

Leicester hit back to win a corner of their own which was taken by Cain. After a brief scramble Jacob Blyth lashed in a shot that drew another good save from Flatt.

But the visitors moved into the lead in the 55th minute and it was harsh luck on Flatt who saved superbly from Cain but stood no chance as Panayiotou rammed home the rebound.

Panayiotou almost had a second two minutes later after Kortney Hause lost possession on the edge of his area but this time the City man was just wide as he latched onto the loose ball.

On the hour mark it was Flatt to the rescue again as he dived low to save from Cain after the defence had struggled to clear a Leicester attack.

As the match moved into its final 30 minutes Wolves started to force City back and Kristian Kostrna saw his powerful shot beaten away by Smith at the near post.

Jakobsson was just off the mark with a bouncing header, and Anthony Forde sliced wide after a good ball into the box from O’Hara.

There was to be no reprieve for the Molineux youngsters, however, as City held out to take the points. 

Wolves: Flatt, Kellerman, Jakobsson (Erdei 84), Kostrna, Hause, Tank, Parry (Carter 62), O’Hara, Keita, Whittall (Torras 86), Forde.

Unused subs: Dutton, Weeks.

City: Smith, Kennedy, Elder, Watson, St Ledger, Taft, Panayiotou, Cain, Blyth, Hopper, Dodoo (Barrington 80).

Unused subs: Anton, Simpson, McCourt, Dawson.

Referee: N. Radford.

Attendance: 230.

    Related Articles