Skip to main content

Liam's Treble Earns A Point


18:12 1st September 2013

Under 21s hold Fulham.

Fulham 4 (Tankovic 3, 43, Mesca 45, 45+2)  

Wolves 4 (McAlinden 8, 33, 69, Jakobsson 77)

Liam McAlinden helped himself to a hat-trick as the Wolves under 18s came from two down at the interval to take a point from a four all draw with Fulham.

The game was played at the London club’s Motspur Park training ground and Steve Weaver’s men found themselves a goal down after just three minutes.

McAlinden headed wide in the opening seconds and then he volleyed over before Muamer Tankovic hit a shot on the turn that took a hefty deflection as it flew past keeper Jon Flatt. 

It took Wolves just five minutes to pull level as McAlinden took advantage of hesitancy in the home defence to force the ball home from close quarters.

Tia Na Banga shot narrowly wide after cutting in from the right, and then Flatt made a good save from Cauley Woodrow who had raced onto Tankovic’s through pass.  

McAlinden notched his second in the 32nd minute as he sent a looping header into the net after a cross from Kristian Kostrna. 

Three minutes before the break Sam Whittall rattled the Fulham bar with a header following a curling cross from Parry but, barely a minute later, Fulham drew level through Tankovic who converted Woodrow’s low, driven cross.

It proved to be something of a disastrous ending to the half for the visitors who conceded twice more in the dying seconds. Both goals were scored by Portuguese winger Na Banga. He hammered home a half clearance to put Fulham ahead for the first time and then he sidestepped his marker before shooting past the advancing Flatt to make it 4-2.

Half-Time: Fulham 4 Wolves 2 

Ten minutes after the restart there was a terrible clash of heads Between Whittall and Michael Ihiekwe and after a long hold up both players had to leave the field with Ashley Carter and Tim Jakobsson taking their places.

It was a Fulham substitute, Mananga Jonathan Buata, that helped Wolves get back into the game when he was penalised for a push in the box. Although keeper Marek Rodak made a superb save from McAlinden’s spot kick, the young striker followed up to net the rebound and complete his hat-trick.

Flatt saved well from Vigen Christensen before Wolves pulled level in the 77th minute as Jakobsson’s deflected shot left the Fulham keeper flatfooted.

Woodrow almost restored Fulham’s lead with a curling effort that came back off the bar and then Grimmer also struck the bar as Fulham went in search of a winning goal. 

And, in the final minute, it was third time lucky for Wolves as Woodrow was once again denied by the crossbar. 

It had been a tense close for the visitors but they had been impressive against a side that had a 100 per cent record going into the game.

Fulham: Rodak, Brister (Buata 45), Kavanagh, David, Passley, Grimmer, Bangna, Christensen, Woodrow, Tankovic, Richards (Banya 56).

Unused subs: Norman, Islamovic, Minkwitz.

Wolves: Flatt, Iorfa, Reckord, Whittall (Carter 55), Ihiekwe (Jakobsson 55), Tank, Kostrna (Moli 39), O’Hara, McAlinden, kellei, Parry.

Unused subs: Dutton, Cranston.

Referee: P. Harris.

    Related Articles