Skip to main content

Feruz Double Hits Wolves


23:08 20th January 2014

Chelsea hit back after McAlinden cracker.

Wolves 1 (McAlinden 17)

Chelsea 2 (Feruz 41, 68)

After a superb strike from Liam McAlinden had given Wolves’ under 21s the advantage, Chelsea hit back to take the points thanks to a goal in each half from Scottish striker Islam Feruz.

Wolves started strongly on a heavy Bucks Head pitch that was badly cut up before a ball was kicked.

In the seventh minute Kevin Foley played a lovely ball through to Eusebio Bancessi who controlled before firing past Chelsea keeper Mitchell Beeney. But celebrations were quickly muted as the youngster was ruled offside.

Then Beeney was forced into a full length diving save as Bancessi tried his luck again – this time with an angled drive from the corner of the box. Sam Whittall pounced on the loose ball but before he could get a shot in the offside flag again proved to be a source of frustration for the home team.

But Wolves moved into the lead after 17 minutes thanks to a terrific goal from McAlinden. Whittall threaded the ball through to the young striker who turned and lashed a shot beyond Beeney from 20-yards.

Less than a minute later Beeney had to backpeddle to turn over a deceptive cross from skipper Kristian Kostrna.

Lewis Baker was too high with a shot from distance for the visitors before they drew level four minutes from the break as Feruz fired into the opposite corner from close range after Isaiah Brown had played him in.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Chelsea 1

In the 48th minute a Chelsea free-kick almost led to a second goal. Baker smashed the ball into the wall and it ballooned up into the air dropping nicely for Feruz who prodded it wide as keeper Jonathan Flatt closed him down.

With an hour gone Steve Weaver made a double switch with Jordan Cranston and Ibrahim Keita replacing Matt Doherty and McAlinden respectively.

But with the half at its midway point, Feruz struck again to give Chelsea the lead. Jeremie Boga just managed to keep his balance after a challenge as he took the ball to the bye-line. He cut it back to Feruz who blasted it past the helpless Flatt.

Play continued to swing from end to end although clear cut chances were few and far between. 

Substitute Keita was well wide with a shot on the turn and when he did find the back of the Chelsea net his effort was ruled out for hand ball.

In the dying seconds Chelsea were awarded a penalty after Feruz went down under an innocuous challenge from Tim Jakobsson.  The striker opted to take the spot kick himself but he wasted the chance of completing his hat-trick by blasting the ball high over the bar.
Wolves: Flatt, Doherty (Cranston 61), Foley, Jakobsson, Elokobi, Ebanks-Landell, Bancessi, Kostrna (capt), McAlinden (Keita 61) , Whittall, Parry (Kellerman 72).

Unused subs: Dutton, Iorfa.

Chelsea: Beeney, Dabo, Davey, Christensen, Ake (capt), Swift, Kiwomya (Loftus-Cheek 55), Baker, Feruz, Boga, Brown (Sswankambo 83).

Unused subs: Collins, Nditi, Conroy.

Referee: M. Dexter. 

Attendance: 385. 

    Related Articles