Skip to main content

Last Gasp Gunners


22:46 15th April 2013

Late goal shatters Wolves after brave fightback.

Wolves 2 (Winnall 58, Evans 78)

Arsenal 3 (Akpom 37, 38, Watt 90+4)

Just 20 seconds of the four minutes of added time remained when substitute Sanchez Watt netted a winner for Arsenal after the Molineux under 21s had mounted a courageous fightback after falling two behind to the Gunners.

Included in the Wolves side was Samir Bihmoutine, an Arsenal scholar having a trial with Wolves and up against his parent club.

In the second minute Kris Olsson cut in from the left and hit a low cross that was deflected back to his feet. This time the Arsenal man chose to shoot forcing a near post save from Aljaz Cotman.

Sam Winnall got goalside of Danny Boateng as the pair raced into the visitors box but the referee waved away penalty appeals when the striker went to ground claiming a shove.

Chuba Akpom should have given the Gunners the lead in the 11th minute but he cleared the bar with a free header after a fine cross from Jordan Wynter.

Play was confined to the middle of the park with chances few for either side although Winnall saw his drive from the edge of the box saved by Damien Martinez after Bihmoutine had threaded the ball through from the halfway line.

Lee Evans was close to scoring an own goal when Serge Gnabry’s corner bounced off him in a congested six-yard box.  Cotman saved the day by tipping the ball over the bar.

But the respite for the home side proved to be brief as Arsenal moved into a 37th minute lead. Nico Yennaris lifted a cross over and Sead Hajrovic nodded the ball down for Akpom to convert from three-yards out.

Cotman then had to race from his area to clear from Akpom who was homing in on a deep through ball but the centre forward made it two in as many minutes when he ran on to Olsson’s short pass and held off Jamie Tank before lashing the ball over Cotman’s head and into the roof of the net.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Arsenal 2

It took a superb save by Cotman to deny Arsenal a third goal as he turned over a terrific dipping effort from the impressive Olsson.

Then the keeper bravely blocked at the feet of Watt who was clean through on goal.

But a superb goal saw Wanderers back in the game after 58 minutes as the two Sams combined – Whittall delivering an inch perfect cross for Winnall to bullet home a header.

Whittall then headed straight at Martinez from a Robbie Parry centre, before the visitors were reduced to ten men when Boateng was red carded for pulling back Jack Price as he was about to run into the box. Evans took the free-kick and the ball went through the wall and inches wide.

Jernade Meade made a perfect last ditch tackle on Winnall after Price had nodded the ball down but the equaliser that the home team deserved came in the 78th minute as Evans headed over a sea of bodies following a Jordan Cranston corner.

Play swung from end to end as both sides went in search of a winner but just as it looked like ending all square, Watt ran through to squeeze the ball under the advancing Cotman to leave the Wolves team stunned and with no time for a recovery 

Wolves: Cotman, Cranston, Reckord, Evans, Tank, Ihiekwe (capt), Whittall, Price, Winnall, Parry (Keita 74), Bihmoutine (Moli 82).

Unused subs: Flatt, Iorfa, O’Hanlon.

Booking: Moli (85 – foul).

Arsenal: Martinez, Wynter, Meade, Yennaris (capt), Hajrovic, Boateng, Ansah (Watt 45), Olsson, Akpom, Zelalem, Gnabry (Eastmond 86).

Unused subs: Ormonde-Ottewill, Iliev, Rees.

Booking: Yennaris (45+1 foul)

Sending-Off: Boateng (61 – professional foul).

Referee: S. Plane.

Attendance: 290.

    Related Articles