Skip to main content

O'Hara Strike Not Enough


16:27 11th January 2014

Under 21s lose to City slickers.

Manchester City 3 (Drury 28, Rusnak 65, Cole 76)

Wolves 1 (O’Hara 57)

The Molineux under 21s slipped to a 3-1 defeat when they took on Manchester City at Hyde’s Ewen Fields on Friday evening.

After a shot from Björn Sigurdarson in the opening seconds, City went on to dominate the attacking play in the first-half.  

Jon Flatt had to run to the edge of his area to clear from Seko Fofana and then twice in the space of a few seconds the keeper made good saves from a Marcos Lopes drive, and a Jason Denayer header following a City corner.

The Sky Blues took the lead in the 28th minute when Adam Drury took a return pass from Lopes before hitting an angled drive past Flatt.

The keeper then made two more fine saves to deny Lopes as City looked to stretch their advantage. Both were close range shots the first of which Flatt saved with his feet before he dived bravely in a crowded box to claim Lopes’s second attempt.

After being on the back foot for most of the half Wolves suddenly had two good chances just before the break. Jamie O’Hara latched onto a half clearance and from 22-yards he hit the top of the crossbar with a dipping strike.

Then O’Hara provided a telling cross that was glanced wide by the head of Sigurdarson.

Half-Time: City 1 Wolves 0

Greg Leigh missed an easy chance for City shortly after the restart when he fired over from right in front of goal after Albert Rusnak has played him in.

But Wolves pulled level in the 57th minute through O’Hara who hit a stunning shot over Ian Lawlor from the edge of the box after substitute Jim Kellerman had set up the chance.

However, within eight minutes the hosts were back in front after Rusnak drove an angled shot into the opposite corner.

There was a chance for Wolves when Lawlor blocked as Sigurdarson attempted to break through. The ball ran to Kellerman who lobbed it back towards goal only for Denayer to dive and head clear off the line.

Jordy Hiwula was unlucky when his low shot hit the inside of a post and rolled across the face of goal before being cleared . But the relief for the visitors was to prove brief as home substitute Devante Cole made it 3-1 in the 76th minute after a brief goalmouth scramble.

Three minutes from time, City were awarded a penalty after what looked like an innocuous challenge by Jordan Cranston on Sinin Bytyqi. The City man took the spot kick himself but his effort flew high over the bar.

City: Lawlor, Drury, Leigh, Facey, Denayer, Huws, Lopes (capt) (Cole 70), Fofana (Glendon 80), Hiwula, Rusnak, Bytyqi.

Unused subs: Plummer, Gunn, Byrne.

Wolves: Flatt, Kostrna, Cranston, O’Hara, Iorfa, Tank, Forde, Whittle (capt), Keita (Kellerman 21), Sigurdarson, Parry.

Unused subs: Reid, Dutton, Torres, Jakobsson.

Referee: M. Parry.

    Related Articles