Skip to main content

Spurs Snow Storm


16:21 14th January 2013

Miserable afternoon for under 21s.

Tottenham Hotspur 5 (Townsend 10, Carroll 66, Obika 77, 90, Falque 90+2) 

Wolves 1 (McAlinden 73) 

Wolves under 21s endured a miserable afternoon in the snow at Tottenham’s training ground as they slumped to a 5-1 defeat in their first game of the elite group. 

Spurs finished strongly with two goals in the dying minutes to give the final scoreline something of a one sided look.

It took the home team just ten minutes to make the breakthrough with Andros Townsend curling a 22nd yard free-kick over the defensive wall after Sam Whittall had been pulled up for a foul on Ryan Mason.

The home team enjoyed plenty of possession in the early stages and it took a great save from Aaron McCarey to deny Jon Obika in a one on one duel.

Wolves’ first chance of note fell to Liam McAlinden who fired over the bar following a free-kick from Johnny Gorman. 

And seconds later there was another chance for the young striker who headed narrowly over the bar after Sam Winnall had supplied the centre.

Some intricate interplay saw Spurs carve out a chance for Mason, who took a return pass from Yago Falque, but McCarey was at his best again to deny the home captain.

Half-Time: Spurs 1 Wolves 0

Three minutes after the restart Whittall headed wide following a Gorman free kick before McCarey came to the rescue again as he kept out a low shot from Obika. The loose ball ran to Mason but his effort was cleared off the line by Michael Iheikwe.

On the hour mark, Gorman cut into the box from the left but saw his shot saved by home keeper Jonathan Miles. At the other end Obika’s diving header was just wide after Mason had supplied the cross.

Midway through the half, Townsend ran into the box and squared the ball to Tom Carroll who made no mistake as he left McCarey with no chance.

McAlinden reduced the deficit in the 73rd minute with a far post header after a cross from substitute David Moli.

But it took Spurs just four minutes to restore their two goal advantage with Mason crossing from the bye-line to Obika who was stationed on the penalty shot to score with a low shot to the left.

Obika scored a fourth in the final minute sidefooting home after a counter attack and Falque added a fifth in stoppage time capitalising on a defensive mistake.

Spurs: Miles, Fredericks, Fryers, Velokovic, Hall, Livermore, Falque, Mason (capt), Obika, Carroll, Townsend.

Unused subs: Coulthirst, Priestly, Stewart, Gallifuoco, Bostock.

Wolves: McCarey, Iorfa, Reckord, Whittall, Ihiekwe, Tank, Parry (Moli 67), Price, McAlinden, Winnall, Gorman.

Unused subs: Jakobsson, Cotman, Cranston, Kellerman.

Referee: I. Cooper.

    Related Articles