Skip to main content

Late Goal Stuns Under 21s


22:22 29th October 2012

Undeserved defeat.

Wolves 1 (Sigurdarson 39) 

Fulham 2  (Islamovic 34, Smith 85)

A late Fulham goal put an end to Wolves’ Under 21s unbeaten home record after an end to end encounter at the Bucks Head. Few would argue that Steve Weaver’s team were well worth a point from the game but it wasn’t to be.

After just 30 seconds Dino Islamovic hit a shot from 20-yards that only just cleared Wayne Hennessey’s bar.  Wolves responded with a Richard Stearman header that just beat the far post from Zeli Ismail’s corner.

Hennessey kept an eye on a long range Joshua Pritchard drive that drifted wide before Omri Altman took advantage of a lucky bounce to run into the side of the Wolves box and hit a low cross that flew across the face of goal.

Hennessey showed that his long lay off had robbed him of none of his reactions as he pulled off a fantastic reflex save to thwart Lauri Dalla Valle who had got his foot to Charles Banya’s short centre.

After 22 minutes Danny Batth steered a header wide after an Anthony Forde corner before David Davis was penalised for tripping Fulham skipper Alex Smith 25-yards out. Smith took the free-kich himself curling the ball over the wall and a yard wide.

Fulham took the lead on 34 minutes when Ethan Ebanks Landell and Batth collided as they went to clear a through pass leaving Islamovic to shoot past the unprotected Hennessey.

It took Wolves just five minutes to pull level as Björn Sigurdarson headed home from close range after Ismail had planted a corner into the heart of the goalmouth. 

Islamovic was yellow carded after a crude challenge on Sigurdarson as Wolves finished the half strongly.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Fulham 1

After the interval Wolves replaced Sigurdarson with Liam McAlinden and Ebanks Landell with Kristian Kostrna. Stearman moved into central defence and Kostrna to right-back.

Kostrna soon figured with a cross that Frank Nouble headed high over the bar and for the visitors Dalla Valle wasn’t far away with a low drive.

Both keepers were then called into action with Hennessey turning aside an angled effort from Lasse Vigen Christensen and Cottagers custodian Csaba Somogyi making a spectacular save from Forde’s piledriver.

Hennessey saved with his feet from Christensen and, at the other end, Stearman blasted a shot over the bar after a Forde centre found its way to him. 

But, in the 85th minute, Smith grabbed a winner for Fulham from 15-yards after Christensen had cut into the box and pulled the ball back for him.

Despite some intense pressure in the few minutes that remained, Wolves couldn’t find the equaliser they deserved.

Wolves: Hennessey, Stearman, Ihiekwe (capt), Edwards, Ebanks Landell (Kostrna 45), Batth, Ismail (Price 85), Davis, Sigurdarson (McAlinden 45), Nouble, Forde.

Unused subs: McCarey, Whittall. 

Fulham: Somogyi, Christensen, Grimmer, Pritchard, Musa, Minkwitz, Valle, Smith (capt), Islamovic (Tankovic 73), Altman, Banya.

Unused subs: Bettinelli, Sambou, Brister.

Bookings: Islamovic (43 – foul), Grimmer 65 – foul), Musa (89 – foul).

Referee: R. Wigglesworth

Attendance: 254.

    Related Articles