Skip to main content

Reserves Defeated At Chelsea


20:03 1st September 2012

Hosts take chances as Wolves hit for five

Chelsea 5 (Biazon  18, 90+2 pen, Boga 58, Deen-Conteh 62, Baker 67)

Wolves 0

The Wolves under 21 team suffered their first defeat of the season going down 5-0 to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

There was no doubt that the final score flattered the Londoners as Steve Weaver’s team were very much in it after an hour and almost cancelled out Chelsea’s first half opener just before two goals in a four minute spell took the game away from them.

Billy Clifford had an early chance for the home team when Aziz Deen-Conteh laid the ball back to him but he curled his shot over the bar.

For Wolves, Sam Winnall won a corner off Nathan Ake and from Zeli Ismail’s flag-kick the ball was half cleared to Ethan Ebanks-Landell who headed back into the danger area for Sam Whittall to get in a goalbound shot that was blocked by a defender.

Wolves were unlucky again in the 15th minute when Winnall took a return pass from Liam McAlinden and hit a shot that struck Ismail and bounced behind.

Three minutes later Chelsea took the lead after Aaron McCarey had parried a low shot from Patrick Bamford. Unfortunately for the keeper, the ball ran to Lucas Biazon and he drove home from the edge of the box.

Lewis Baker almost added a second with a fierce effort that only just cleared the bar and then Bamford, at full stretch, just failed to turn in a short cross from Baker at the far post.

Alex Davey blocked Whittall’s shot at the expense of a corner that was taken by Ismail. The ball was headed out to Jack Price and when McAlinden tried to help on his team-mate’s drive, he succeeded only in heading over the bar.

Chelsea keeper Jamal Blackman made a smart save when Price hit a free-kick through the defensive wall, and when Ismail played Jamie Reckord through on the overlap, his low cross spun away from Winnall as he turned in the six yard box.

Shortly before the break, McAlinden was too high with his shot on the turn.

Half-Time: Chelsea 1 Wolves 0

Wolves started the new half as they had left off the old one and Matt Doherty was penalised when he caught George Saville with an attempted overhead kick after a cross from Winnall.

In the 58th minute Ismail was denied by Deadman who made a terrific stop and, just seconds later, rather than being level, Wolves found themselves two down as play swept to the other end and Biazon slipped the ball through to substitute Jeremie Boga who calmly lobbed the ball over the advancing McCarey.

Worse followed four minutes later as Deen-Conti ran into the left channel of the Wolves box and fired across McCarey into the opposite side of the net.

The goals seemed to knock the stuffing out of the visitors and after Bamford had beaten the offside trap and fired over from a good position, Boga’s precision through ball put Baker in the clear and he made no mistake

In stoppage time, Doherty tripped Biazon in the box and the Brazilian picked himself up and sent McCarey the wrong way from the spot.   

Chelsea: Blackman, Cane (capt) (Dabo 80), Davey, Ake, Deen-Conteh, Saville, Baker, Loftus-Cheek (Boga 52), Bamford (Musonda 74), Clifford, Biazon.

Unused subs: Beeney, Nbiti.

Wolves: McCarey, Doherty, Reckord (capt) (Cranston 81), Whittall, Ihiekwe, Ebanks-Landell (Tank 77), Ismail, Price, Winnall, McAlinden (Kempton 73), Kostrna.

Unused subs: Cotman, Moli.

Referee: J. O’Brien.

    Related Articles