Skip to main content

Report: Livingston 1-2 Wolves


00:16 14th July 2013

Victory ends Scotland trip

Livingston 1, Wolves 2

Wolves made it two wins from two on their pre-season tour of Scotland by coming from behind to win at Livingston on Saturday afternoon.

In sweltering conditions once again, goals from George Elokobi and David Davis overturned a fine Livingston opener from Mark McNulty, as Head Coach Kenny Jackett continued to run the rule over the Wolves squad.

Wolves almost took what would have been a spectacular early lead when a stray clearance fell to Jack Price.

With keeper Darren Jamieson off his line Price struck a first time shot with his left foot which was destined for the top corner until Jamieson managed to get back to claw the ball away.

And it was the hosts who then made the breakthrough with an excellent well-worked goal in the 12 minute, Jason Talbot’s first time cross from the left volleyed home from close range by McNulty.

The hosts shaded the first 20 minutes of the contest but from there Wolves responded well to the setback and controlled the remainder of the opening period, creating a string of chances.

The spell of dominance saw front two Leigh Griffiths and Björn Sigurdarson enjoy plenty of opportunities as they stretched the Livingston defence.

Griffiths, back at the club where he started his career, was heavily involved, and appeared to have his ankles clipped as he tried to get a shot in having latched onto an excellent Lee Evans pass.

Either side of that penalty appeal he directed Bjorn Sigurdarson’s cross wide and then also fired off target having found space off the last defender as he desperately tried to get on the scoresheet.

Sigurdarson fired over after showing some decent feet inside the penalty area, but when Wolves’ equaliser arrived it was courtesy of a defender – George Elokobi.

Livingston failed to clear a Wolves corner and Elokobi’s precise shot possibly took a slight deflection but he wasn’t complaining as it crossed the line to level the scores.

Wolves almost went in front shortly afterwards but Price’s meeting of a cross from the industrious Matt Doherty bounced back off the post.

Only one change was made by Jackett at the break – Liam McAlinden on for Sigurdarson – and Wolves didn’t have long to wait for a second goal, with Doherty again involved.

Latching on to some good work from Griffiths, Doherty’s clever pullback was fired home impressively into the roof of the net by David Davis.

Wolves continued to press and Doherty had a goal disallowed for offside after knocking in Price’s cross before a raft of substitutions 20 minutes from time saw all bar McAlinden making way.

McAlinden and Zeli Ismail weren’t far away with shots while Jake Cassidy drew two fine saves from Livingston substitute keeper Kevin Walker.

Dave Edwards was also denied by Walker with a header from Kevin Foley’s cross while the last action of the game saw one of several Livingston trialists fire over the bar from distance.

But it was Wolves who headed for the long trip back to Molineux with their 100 per cent pre-season record intact and hoping for further improvement as the friendly schedule continues at Wrexham on Tuesday.

WOLVES: McCarey (Ikeme 70), Doherty (Foley 70), Batth (Margreitter 70), Elokobi (Stearman 70), Ricketts (Reckord 70), Price (Forde 70), Evans (Doumbia 70), Davis (Edwards 70), Sako (Ismail 70), Griffiths (Cassidy 70), Sigurdarson (McAlinden 45)

ATTENDANCE: 928 (402 Wolves fans) 

    Related Articles