Skip to main content

Olympic Performance From Wolves


21:49 3rd October 2012

Young team put five past Rushall

Rushall Olympic 0

Wolves 5 (Ismail 43, 61, Kostrna 62, McAlinden 71, 79)

Near the end of an evenly fought out first half, Zeli Ismail fired Wolves into the lead against a Rushall Olympic side currently second placed in the Evo-Stick Northern Premier League.

But the second half belonged almost entirely to Wolves who rattled in a further four goals against the useful non-League side.

There were two chances for Wolves inside the first three minutes. Liam McAlinden, with a low drive, was inches wide of the target and then a flashing header from Michael Ihiekwe struck the underside of the bar and home keeper Matthew Coton did well to gather the rebound under pressure.

Ramone Stephens forced a fine save from Aaron McCarey with a shot on the run that the keeper parried before smothering the loose ball.

Stephens figured again in the 20th minute when he controlled a centre from Ahmed Obeng before again testing McCarey with a low drive.

Seconds later, Sam Whittall’s through ball put Ismail through on goal but Coton was quickly off his line to block at the striker’s feet.

Five minutes before the break McCarey made an athletic save as he turned over a rising drive from Obeng.

But it was Wolves that moved ahead three minutes later when Jordan Cranston’s throw fell to Ismail who hammered a left-foot shot past Coton.

Half-Time: Rushall 0 Wolves 1

Stephens had the chance of levelling matters five minutes after the break but after working a shooting position for himself, he blazed the ball over the bar.

Ismail was shown the yellow card after he tripped Michael Clarke but his next contribution was to add a second goal when he picked his spot from 20-yards after 61 minutes.

Seconds later it was three when Ismail turned to provider setting up Kristian Kostrna who kept his nerve before slotting the ball home.

Rushall didn’t give up and they went close twice as the half reached its midway point with Grant Becketti and Clarke both driving shots just off target.

In the 71st minute, McAlinden added a fourth with a tap in after Ismail once again provided the final ball into the box.

Then, on 79 minutes Cranston delivered a low cross that gave McAlinden another chance of a close range finish and he duly obliged.

In the closing stages, substitute Johnny Gorman struck the foot of a post and, for Rushall, Clarke almost grabbed a consolation with a glancing header.

Rushall: Coton, Naylor (Fitzpatrick 75), J. Haynes, Caines (K. Haynes 70), Daniel (capt), Bragoli, Landell, Becketti, Clarke, Obeng (Brown 67), Stephens.

Unused subs: Tolley, Spittle.

Booking: Brown (81 – foul).

Wolves: McCarey (capt), Ihiekwe, Cranston, Jakobsson, Tank, Ebanks-Landell, Whittall, Price, McAlinden, Ismail, Kostrna (Gorman 75).

Unused subs: Keita, Iorfa, Kellerman, Cotman.

Booking: Ismail (52 – foul).

Referee: Miss S. Garratt

Attendance: 101.

    Related Articles