Skip to main content

Lively Friendly Ends All Square


18:38 2nd August 2014

Flow of game disrupted.

Wolves 1 (Dicko 32)

Celta Vigo 1 (Larrivey 65)

A fractious friendly game with La Liga’s Celta Vigo finished all square at Molineux with series of cynical fouls from the opposition, especially in the second half, disrupting the flow of the game.

In the fourth minute Danny Batth powered a header just wide following a James Henry corner whilst Celta Vigo’s first attempt at goal was a long range shot from Orellana that was safely pouched by Carl Ikeme.

Michael Jacobs went on a run from halfway through the heart of the Celta midfield before unleashing a shot that just cleared the angle with keeper Sergio rooted to the spot.

Madinda connected well with a lay off on the 18-yard line but although he got plenty of power behind his shot, the ball flew straight to Ikeme.

Charles picked up a misplaced pass from Kevin McDonald and took the ball to within 20-yards of goal before hitting a shot that was deflected wide for what was an unproductive corner.

Henry just failed to get s head to a dangerous cross from Rajiv van La Parra before Wolves moved into a 32nd minute lead.

David Costas under hit a pass back to the keeper and Van La Parra nipped in and squared the ball to Nouha Dicko who converted into the empty net.

Moments later the game erupted when, in an off the ball incident, Cabral pushed his head into Dicko’s. It appeared to be a red card offence and yet the referee chose to book both players.

Shortly before the break, Samu crudely chopped down Samuel Ricketts wide on the right and from Scott Golbourne’s free-kick, Batth headed wide.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Celta Vigo 0

Celta made five changes at the break whilst Kenny Jackett kept the same 11. 

In the 49th minute, Henry was a matter of a couple of inches away from a second Wolves goal after he ran onto Dicko’s pass, The midfielder’s low shot beat Sergio but the ball hit the foot of the post and was cleared.

After Cabral had headed over following a corner, it was the Spanish side’s turn to be denied by the woodwork as substitute Larrivey beat Ikeme but was left holding his head in anguish as the ball rolled against the inside of the post before being cleared by Golbourne.

Larrivey then forced the best out of Ikeme with a shot on the turn that was athletically turned aside by the keeper.

Several times play was disrupted with the referee having to speak to members of the Celta team after some overzealous tackles one of which, on Van La Parra, earned Nolito a booking.

The visitors pulled level in the 65th minute as the dangerous Larrivey ran onto a short through pass from Nolito and slid the ball past Ikeme.

After Carles Planas had been yellow carded for scything down Ricketts, a series of substitutions followed including that of Max Clayton, a striker who has been training with the squad this week.

Twice in the dying minutes Nolito went close to winning it for Celta. A free-kick from 22-yards out was deflected wide and then he was well off the mark with a first time volley after a cross from Jonny. 

Wolves: Ikeme, Golbourne, Ricketts (capt) (Doherty 85), Evans, Batth, Stearman, Henry (Clayton 74), McDonald, Dicko (McAlinden 77), Jacobs, Van La Parra (Edwards 74).

Unused subs: McCarey, Davis, Ebanks-Landell.

Celta Vigo: Segio, Mallo (Gomez 61), Mani (Yelko 64), Lopez (Goldar 69), Charles (Larrivey 45), Orellana (Fernan 74), Costas (Fontas 45), Madinda (Krohn-Dehli 45), Cabral (Planas 61), Samu (Nolito 45), Fernandez (Jonny 45).

Unused subs: Blanco, Oscar, Jordan.

Referee: S. Martin.

Attendance: 5,253.

News archive

Search archive