Skip to main content

Posh End Cup Hopes


21:45 3rd December 2013

Kids bow out of FA Youth Cup.

Wolves 1 (Keita 18)

Peterborough United 2 (Duggan 20, Gordon 47)

Peterborough made it through to the third round of the FA Youth Cup and a trip to Hull after coming from behind to beat Wolves at Molineux.

In the first minute Ibrahim Keita tried an ambitious shot from wide on the right that was far too high and, for United, Jaanai Gordon was off target from 25-yards out.

Wolves then forced four corners in succession – two taken by Cieron Keane and two by Declan Weeks all of which had the visiting defenders on their toes.

Peterborough keeper Luke O’Reilly made a routine save after a long-range drive from Keita, but the Wolves man wasn’t to be denied and he fired his team into an 18th minute lead.

Keane crossed from the left and Bradley Reid nodded down to Keita who took a touch before ramming the ball past O’Reilly.

But the lead was to last for less than two minutes as Robert Duggan ran through and held off a challenge before slotting the ball past Scott Dutton.

And Posh were inches away from taking the lead in the 28th minute as Gordon’s low cross ran through to Regan Carthey whose shot smacked against the bar and bounced to safety.

Dutton dived to save a 25-yard free-kick from Tom Conlon before, at the other end, Keita shrugged off a challenge and half hit a shot that was cleared from in front of the line by Tarik Moore-Azille.

From a Wolves corner there was a four on two break from United but Dutton got down to push away Carthey’s shot.

O’Reilly twice came to Posh’s rescue as the half drew to a close as he saved from Keita who had been played in by Reid, and then when a Weeks corner fell to Reid the keeper did well to block.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Peterborough 1

Within two minutes of the restart, the visitors took the lead. Carthey raced onto Charlie Coulson’s through ball and as he ran into the Wolves box Ashley Carter got in a challenge as Dutton came sliding in. 

But the ball broke to Gordon and he had time to pick his spot and give United the lead.

Tendai Matinyadze went on a run to the edge of the Posh area looking for a quick reply but he hurried his shot and fired over the bar.

In between a succession of substitutions, with both teams using up their full allocation of changes, Keita was well wide with a shot on the turn.

Jonathan Edwards wasted a good chance when he shot high over the bar after being set up by Coulson, and Tom Hill went into the book for a heavy challenge on Oliver Luto.

Appeals for a penalty after Conlon’s challenge on Ben O’Hanlon were ignored by the referee before O’Hanlon ran down the left and delivered a low cross which fell in front of Regan Upton who fired over the bar.

Wolves piled forward in the dying minutes and after Reid was tackled by Liam Marshall as he shot, the Welsh striker then went down under a challenge from  O’Reilly but home hopes of a penalty were dispelled by the referee who ruled in the keeper’s favour.

Keita, for dissent and Carthey for time wasting were both yellow carded and, in a frenetic finish, O’Reilly blocked from Keita and Reid headed inches wide from Weeks’s corner with the last move of the match. 

Wolves: Dutton, Rainey, O’Hanlon, Weeks (capt), Hill, Carter, Smith (Upton 65), Matinyadze (Stringer-Moth 74), Reid, Keita, Keane (Erdei 74).

Unused subs: Burgoyne, Pedersen.

Posh: O’Reilly, Burgess (capt), Marshall, Conlon, Moore-Azille, Ward (Carter 56), Coulson, Duggan, Gordon (Edwards 71), Carthey, Anderson (Luto 67).

Unused subs: Henry, Friend.

Referee: M. Jones.

Attendance: 298.

    Related Articles