Skip to main content

Double For Nouble Spells Palace Trouble


22:39 17th September 2012

Reserves continue promising start

Wolves 3 (Nouble 30, 40, Price 33)


Crystal Palace 1 (Sekajja 35)


An entertaining under 21s clash between Wolves and Crystal Palace saw all four goals scored in a ten minute spell in the first half with the Molineux side notching three of them to take the points.


There was a half chance for Frank Nouble in the fourth minute but Sam Winnall’s through ball was slightly over-hit allowing Palace keeper Ross Fitzsimons to collect.


Jamie Tank went down after making a clearance with no player near him. He was obviously in trouble and after treatment on and off the pitch he was replaced by Ethan Ebanks-Landell.


Winnall laid the ball off to Jamie Reckord who got plenty of power behind his shot but the ball went straight to the keeper. Then a good run by Kevin Foley saw the defender delivering a low cross that was helped on by Nouble to Zeli Ismail but he had run into an offside position.


Three Ismail corners had the Palace defence at full stretch. From the first Fitzsimons made a good save as he gathered a header from Ebanks-Landell. Then the keeper kept out a Winnall header before Ismail laid the third flag kick back to David Davis who volleyed straight at Fitzsimon’s from the edge of the box.


Wolves moved ahead on the half-hour mark when Winnall pushed the ball forward for Nouble. The striker was forced well wide as he skipped passed the keeper and the chance looked to have gone. But from an impossible angle he took aim and scored with a shot that went just inside the far post.


Three minutes later Jack Price darted into the Palace box and sublimely chipped the ball over Fitzsimons for Wolves’ second.


But within two minutes Ibra Sekajja was afforded a little too much space by the home defence and he scored with a low shot from just inside the box.


Wolves’ third goal was one that Fitzsimons will want to forget as the keeper failed to deal with Nouble’s centre – the linesman flagging that the ball had crossed the line before it was clawed away.


Half-Time: Wolves 3 Palace 1


Michael Ihiekwe was an interval replacement for Foley.


Ismail went on an enterprising run but then shot over the bar before Sekajja almost added to his tally with a shot that flashed narrowly wide.


Play continued to switch from end to end and after Price had volleyed over the bar, Reise Allassani wasn’t far away for Palace with a ground shot that flew wide.


Ebanks-Landell had a header saved by Fitzsimon’s following a Kristian Kostrna corner and then the keeper made a fine stop as he clung onto a long range effort from Davis.


There was another opportunity for Price after Ismail had pulled the ball back for him, but he ballooned his shot over the bar.


Then Nouble missed the chance of completing his hat-trick when he screwed the ball wide of the far post after he had been played in by Winnall.


Wolves: Cotman, Foley (Ihiekwe 45), Reckord (capt), Davis, Tank (Ebanks-Landell 10), Batth, Kostrna, Price, Nouble, Winnall, Ismail (McAlinden 78).


Unused subs: Flatt, Whittall.


Palace: Fitzsimons,Tiffoney, Daniel, Taylor, Wynter, O’Keefe, Fenwick (Kaikai 84), Boateng (capt), Sekajja, Allassani, Banton.


Unused subs: Arkuruka, King, Holland, Kroll.


Referee: A. Hendley.


Attendance: 138.



    Related Articles