Skip to main content

Griff Grabs The Winner


22:11 23rd July 2013

Wolves edge tight friendly.

Chesterfield 1 (Talbot 29)

Wolves 2 (D. Edwards 7, Griffiths 65)

Wolves were made to fight all the way for victory against a workmanlike Chesterfield side that was managed by former Molineux midfielder Paul Cook. 

Dave Edwards fired Wanderers into an early lead and although that was cancelled out by Drew Talbot, Leigh Griffiths hit what proved to be the winner midway through the second half.

Both sides won early corners that were cleared before Wolves started to force the issue. Griffiths pushed a pass to Bakary Sako who, in turn, teed up David Davis. The midfielder hit a tremendous effort from 20-yards that had ‘goal’ written all over it until the ball struck a defender and bounced clear. 

But the respite for the home side proved to be brief as Dave Edwards fired the visitors into a seventh minute lead with a low drive into the corner after Tongo Doumbia had set up the chance.

Slowly, Chesterfield started to work their way into the game and Carl Ikeme had to be at his best to turn aside a searing effort from Eoin Doyle.

There was another chance for the home side when Gary Roberts ran in onto Ritchie Humphries cross for a free header that flew wide.

There was no denying Chesterfield, however, and they pulled level in the 29th minute as Talbot cut in from the right and found the space to curl a shot into the opposite corner of the net.

Home appeals for a penalty when Doyle ran straight into Ikeme were rejected and, at the other end, a low drive from Sako had Chesterfield keeper Tommy Lee at full stretch.

Sako was close again with an angled effort that was wide of the far post, before the Spireites twice in a minute were close to taking the lead.

Samy Morsy’s shot on the run from 25-yards was deflected narrowly wide and, from Jay O’Shea’s corner, Matty Brown ran in at the far post to power a header into the side netting.

In the one minute of added time Sako’s corner fell to Davis. His shot was blocked and when the rebound went to Griffiths he was wide of the mark.

Half-Time Chesterfield 1 Wolves 1

Wolves almost regained the lead three minutes after the break when interval substitute Björn Sigurdarson lifted a cross from the left into the box. Griffiths and keeper Lee both went for the ball which didn’t drop kindly for Edwards who only succeeded in shooting over.

Another of Kenny Jackett’s replacements, Zeli Ismail, then crossed for Sigurdarson to get in a header that drew a fine save from Lee. 

Danny Batth headed wide from another Ismail cross before a clinical piece of finishing from Griffiths in the 65th minute put Wolves ahead.

The striker ran onto Lee Evans’s through ball and calmly sidestepped the keeper before slotting the ball home.

Four minutes later, Griffiths hit a great cross that was headed against the bar by Ismail. Play swept straight to the other end where a low shot from Marc Richards was parried by Ikeme.

Lee just beat Liam McAlinden to Kevin Foley’s through ball, and when McAlinden then ran through and found the net his celebration was cut short by the offside flag.

Chesterfield: Lee (Chapman 82), Talbot (Hird 73), Humphreys (R. Edwards 56), Cooper (capt) (Broadhead 87), Brown (Smith 56), Morsy (Bencherif 60), Togwell (Morgan 73), Ryan (Darikwa 56) (Walshaw 90), O’Shea (Gnanduillet 56), Roberts (Devitt 73), Doyle (Richards 56).

Wolves: Ikeme, Ricketts (capt), Elokobi, D. Edwards (Price 85), Stearman, Batth, Doumbia (Evans 45), Davis (Foley 56), Griffiths (McAlinden 79), Sako (Ismail 56), Cassidy (Sigurdarson 45).

Unused subs: Hennessey, Doherty.

Referee: M. Naylor.

Attendance: 2,469.

    Related Articles