Skip to main content

Kids Frozen Out By Charlton


21:36 12th December 2012

Early Youth Cup exit.

Wolves 0

Charlton Athletic 1 (Holmes-Dennis 64)

There was little to cheer the home fans in the small crowd on a bitingly cold night at Molineux as Wolves bowed out of this season’s FA Youth Cup at the first hurdle losing 1-0 to Charlton Athletic in what was a scrappy affair.

The visitors started brightly and in the third minute, with a tremendous burst of speed, Tobi Sho-Silva ran between two defenders into the Wolves area before shooting into the side netting.

Then Wanderers keeper Jonathan Flatt picked up a back pass from Ben O’Hanlon to present The Addicks with a free-kick just ten yards out. The ball was tapped to Harry Gerard who blasted it wide.

Robbie Parry then had to have lengthy attention to what appeared to be a foot injury but he eventually returned to the action.

On 13 minutes, Tareiq Holmes-Dennis let fly from 25 yards forcing an acrobatic, flying save from Flatt before James Kellerman was yellow carded for a late challenge on Diego Poyet, the son of Brighton manager Gus.

Charlton’s Kasey Palmer had a shot blocked and when the ball ran to Sho-Silva he fired wide from a good position.

Parry, after winning possession in midfield, advanced on the Charlton box before shooting wide, and then Ibrahim Keita sprinted through the middle before hitting a shot that struck a defender which took the sting out of the effort allowing keeper Dillon Phillips a comfortable save.

Twice in the space of 90 seconds Oliver Muldoon had goal attempts. The first came when he cut into the box and shot straight at Flatt and then a volley from just outside the box was also gathered by the keeper.

In the 35th minute a good run took Parry into the visitors box. His first effort was blocked and his follow up went into the side netting.   

Keita was looking more of a threat as the half wore on and after cutting into the box he worked a shooting position for himself and hit a low shot that Phillips did well to turn away. The loose ball ran to Kellerman who was a yard too high from the edge of the area.

Four minutes before the break Phillips arched himself backwards to tip over Keita’s header after Kellerman had launched a cross into the area.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Charlton 0

Two successive Charlton corners almost led to a breakthrough. Gerard took the first and the ball went dangerously through the six yard box before it was turned behind for a second. This time Muldoon took the kick and Tom Derry headed narrowly over the bar.

Charlton took the lead in the 64th minute when O’Hanlon lost possession to Holmes-Dennis on the Charlton right. The defender ran to the edge of the box before curling a low shot into the corner of the net.

Wolves pushed hard for an equaliser but the Charlton defence were keeping a tight rein on proceedings although there was a chance for Dominic Dell when Luke Ifil’s corner fell to him but his first time shot was too high.

Keita did prod the ball narrowly wide but the flag was raised for offside anyway, and Parry, who worked tirelessly throughout the 90 minutes despite his foot injury, did raise a little hope just before the end with a surging run down the left flank but his centre was booted clear.

Wolves: Flatt, Hill (Stringer-Moth 74), O’Hanlon, O’Neill (capt), Schofield, Iorfa, Ifil, Kellerman (Weeks 61), Keita, Dell, Parry.

Unused subs: Smith, Dutton, Streete.

Charlton: Phillips, Holmes-Dennis, Edwards, Poyet (capt), Gomez, Lennon, Palmer, Gerard, Sho-Silva, Muldoon, Derry.

Unused subs: Brown, Kelly, Thomas, Stewart, Pyke.

Referee: M. Jones. 

Attendance: 306.

    Related Articles