Skip to main content

Senior Cup Exit


22:31 10th December 2013

Early and late goals see Stourbridge home.

Stourbridge 2 (Richards 5, Agbor 82)

Wolves 0

Wolves’ interest in this season’s Birmingham Senior Cup came to an end as the development squad slipped to a 2-0 defeat against Stourbridge at the War Memorial Athletic Ground.

The non-League side scored shortly after the beginning and near the end of a competitive game with Wolves failing to capitalise after creating several openings.

It took the Glassboys just five minutes to break though. Sean Geddes lifted a free-kick over from the left of the Wolves box and when Nathan Bennett nodded the ball down it was forced home by Will Richards.

There was a chance for a quick response from Wanderers as Jim Kellerman played Robbie Parry through on goal but home keeper Dean Coleman won the one on one confrontation by spreading himself to block.

Richards tried for a second with a shot from the edge of the box but his effort went straight into the arms of Jon Flatt. 

Kristian Kostrna was penalised for a challenge on Keyelden Brown a couple of yards outside the area. Geddes again took the free-kick but this time Flatt claimed the ball.

Coleman had a stroke of luck when he lost a low cross from Robbie Parry as the ball bounced the wrong way for Bradley Reid who was positioned at the far post. Seconds later the action was at the other end where Flatt had to dive full length to turn aside a 20-yard drive from Ben Billingham.

Midway through the half Eusebio Bancessi dispossessed Aaron Drake in the home area before shooting into the side netting.

After a slow start the visitors were starting to put the home defence under pressure with the pace of Robbie Parry on the left the source of much of their troubles.

Geddes was booked for a late challenge on Tim Jakobsson before some brilliant ball control by Bencessi saw him riding four challenges as he ran into the box. But his final pass went straight to an opposition defender.

Just before the break Reid held off a challenge as he ran through the middle but he prodded the ball wide as Coleman narrowed the angle.

Half-Time: Stourbridge 1 Wolves 0

There was an early chance for Stourbridge when play resumed as Geddes charged down the right and cut into the area. He found Chris Knight with a short pass but the ball bounced off the striker and went straight to Flatt.

In the 53rd minute Reid was unlucky as his on target shot was deflected behind for a corner after Jordan Cranston had headed back a cross from Bancessi.

Parry was inches away from an equaliser as he held off a challenge and flicked the ball with the outside of his right foot just the wrong side of the post.

Then the ball got trapped beneath Sam Whittall’s feet as he tried to work a shooting position after taking a low cross from Reid.

With eight minutes remaining Kostrna was booked for dissent after being harshly penalised for a challenge outside the box. From a similar position than the one that led to the first goal, Geddes fired over the free-kick and Roly Agbor was there to convert at the far post. Heated protests that he was offside from the Wolves players were ignored.

Just before the end, Cranston shot over the bar after Parry had squared the ball to him.

 Stourbridge: Coleman, Washbourne (Rock 60), Richards, Drake, Geddes (capt), Bennett, Brown (Rowe 76), Agbor, Francis, Billingham, Knight (Benbow 76).

Unused subs: Broadhurst, Slater.

Wolves: Flatt, Kostrna, Cranston, Whittall (capt), Iorfa, Tank, Bancessi, Jakobsson, Reid, Kellerman, Parry.

Unused subs: Keita, Dutton, O’Hanlon, Carter, Erdei.

Referee: P. Hardisty.

Attendance: 462. 

    Related Articles