Skip to main content

Villa Hit Back To Take The Points


21:38 6th March 2017

Penalty decision proves costly.

Wolves 1 (Wilson 53)

Aston Villa 2 (Lyden 74, Hale-pen 86)

Aston Villa’s Under 23s came from behind to beat Wolves in a closely fought out encounter at Molineux with the winning goal coming after a debatable penalty decision. 

At the start, after just a few seconds play, Wolves were awarded a free-kick two-yards outside the Villa box after Donovan Wilson had been fouled by Chris Samba. Christian Herc curled the kick over the wall and keeper Victor Johansson had to dive smartly to his left to turn the ball behind.

Arron Collins’s first time shot from a Morgan Gibbs-White cross looped up in the air and was caught under the crossbar by Johansson.

The home defence had to clear three Villa free-kicks as well as a corner but Harry Burgoyne confidently dealt with the crosses that came from the set pieces.

A nifty piece of footwork from Bright Enobakhare saw him lose his marker and take the ball to the by-line before hitting a centre that just eluded the head of the inrushing Herc.

The game was largely confined to the midfield with clear cut chances few and far between but it took a first class save from Johansson in the 36th minute to keep things on an even keel.

Enobakhare controlled a Collins cross and teed up Regan Upton whose fierce drive was beaten away by the Swedish keeper.

Herc’s follow up from the edge of the box was way too high.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Villa 0 

Nicu Carnat replaced Joe Delacoe at the start of the second-half which was five minutes old when Collins cut into the box and hit a low, angled drive that was well held by Johansson.

But Wolves finally made the breakthrough in the 53rd minute. Villa were awarded a free-kick 30-yards out and Jake Doyle-Hayes fired the ball into the defensive wall. 

It was cleared to Gibbs-White on the left and his inch perfect through ball fell at the feet of Wilson who ran on to the 18-yard line and gave Johansson no chance with a low shot. 

Both sides made changes in the minutes that followed with Jordan Lyden going on for Samba for the visitors, whilst Conor Levinston replaced Enobakhare for Wolves. 

Johansson needed treatment after he collided with Wilson after leaving his area to clear a long through ball. Wilson left the field shortly afterwards making way for Niall Ennis who was back following a four month injury lay off.

Villa drew level in the 74th minute when the ball broke to substitute Lyden in the area and he blasted it past Burgoyne into the roof of the net.

Easah Suliman’s close range header from Doyle-Hayes’s corner went straight to Burgoyne before Villa took the lead from the spot.

Lyden went down when challenged by Collins and Rory Hales beat Burgoyne from 12-yards. It was a decision that didn’t go down too well with the home players and supporters.

Wolves still had opportunities to salvage a point with Carnat hooking the ball straight at Johansson before Aaron Simpson, with the goal at his mercy, scuffed his kick allowing the keeper the easiest of saves.

Wolves: Burgoyne, Simpson, Breslin, Gibbs-White, Upton, Johnson (capt), Collins, Herc, Wilson (Ennis 69), Enobakhare (Levingston 62), Delacoe (Carnat 45).

Unused subs: Armstrong, Nazon.

Villa: Johansson, Clark, Bedeau, Hale, Samba (Lyden 60), Suliman, Leggett, Doyle-Hayes, Mooney (Knibbs 75), Calder, Borg (Clarke 31).

Unused subs: Idem, Linley.

Referee: C. O’Donell.

Attendance: 592.

    Related Articles