Skip to main content

REPORT | Seven Goal Thriller


22:37 22nd August 2016

Swansea edge it at The Bucks Head

Wolves 3 (Herc 24, Deslandes 48, 65)

Swansea City 4 (Emnes-pen 40, 45+1, Jones 49, James 66)

The Wolves Under 23s came out on just the wrong side of a seven goal thriller against Swansea at The Bucks Head. It was a pity there had to be a loser in a real end to end encounter.

There was a chance for Swansea in the opening minute as Marvin Emnes broke into the box. As he was about to shoot, Aaron Hayden got in a crucial touch to turn the ball behind for a corner.

The first chance of note for Wolves came when Connor Ronan slipped a pass through to Niall Ennis whose angled drive was beaten away by City keeper Gregor Zabret.

In the 23rd minute Tom Holland’s foul on Christian Herc some 25-yards out presented Ronan with a free-kick opportunity. The youngster’s curling effort was heading for the top corner until Zabret athletically tipped the ball over.

Ronan took the corner himself and when the ball was half cleared back to him he cut inside and hit a fierce shot that Zabret beat away. The ball ran to Herc on the edge of the box and he hit a bouncing shot into the net to put Wolves ahead.

Zabret was at his best again four minutes later as he made another first class save with Ronan left to curse his luck after this time letting fly from fully 30-yards out. 

Tyler Reid was booked for tripping Will Randall outside the City box and this time Ronan’s free-kick bounced to safety off the wall. 

Swansea drew level from the spot in the 40th minute after Connor Roberts had burst into the box and was upended by Jon Flatt who was booked and then sent the wrong way when Emnes despatched the penalty.

Worse was to follow as the game drifted into stoppage time as Emnes hit a shot on the run that struck Sylvain Deslandes and looped over the helpless Flatt.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Swansea 2

There were two goals in the five minutes before the break, and two in the five minutes after it.

Wolves pulled level in the 48th minute when Deslandes headed in at the far post from Ronan’s corner before, 60 seconds later, Holland sent Owain Jones through on goal and he made no mistake.

Bright Enobakhare took over from Nouha Dicko shortly before the hour mark and shortly after his introduction he was inches wide with a shot from 20-yards out.

On 65 minutes a fantastic piece of close control saw the striker weave his way through the box to the by-line drawing the keeper and squaring the ball for Deslandes to tap in from a foot out.

But once more concentration in the home defence appeared to lapse and a minute later Swansea were back in front with Dan James running through onto Holland’s pass to beat the unprotected Flatt.

Aaron Simpson, on for Deslandes, hit a low cross that was turned behind by a defender before Ennis could take advantage, and then Swansea’s Slovenian keeper saved a low drive from Enobakhare.

It looked as if Ennis was going to give Wolves a share of the spoils that few would have denied them, but he just failed to get a touch to Ronan’s excellent ball into the box. 

Wolves: Flatt, Odoffin, Deslandes (Simpson 72), Finnie, Hayden, Johnson, Ronan, Herc (McKenna 62), Dicko (Enobakhare 57), Ennis, Randall.

Unused subs: O’Hanlon, Wilson.

Booking: Flatt (40 – foul)

Swans: Zabret, Reid, Roberts, Blair, Davies, Rodon, James, Holland (Maric 62), Bi, Jones (Bray 78), Emnes.

Unused subs: Thomas, Lewis, Byers.

Bookings: Reid (32 – foul), James (90 – foul).

Referee: S. Rushton.

Attendance: 215.

    Related Articles