Skip to main content

REPORT | Youngsters Make Progress In Cup


22:14 8th November 2016

Comprehensive victory in Checkatrade Trophy.

Wolves 4 (Herc 18, Wilson 37, Ronan-pen 45+3, Enobakhare 67)

Accrington Stanley 0

The Wolves youngsters progressed to the knockout stages of the Checkatrade Trophy after a comprehensive victory over League Two Accrington Stanley. The 4-0 win meant that Scott Sellars side finished as group winners.

Seven of the team that played a part in Accrington’s FA Cup win against Bradford at the weekend, started the game at a rain soaked Molineux.

There was little to inspire the small crowd in the opening 15 minutes save for a long-distance effort from Gary Taylor-Fletcher which was easily claimed by Harry Burgoyne.

The first corner went Stanley’s way but Sean McConville’s kick was headed away by Regan Upton.

Wolves opened the scoring in the 18th minute with a well taken goal from Christian Herc who pulled down Connor Ronan’s through pass and hooked the ball home as he fell, via the inside of the far post.

Burgoyne needed two attempts to claim Jordan Clark’s cross-shot before Matty Pearson headed a McConville corner across the face of goal to the far post where Ross Sykes nodded into the net only to be ruled offside.

Twice in the space of two minutes, Bright Enobakhare’s pace had the visitors in trouble. He raced past his marker and cut in from the by-line but, with options open, he went for goal from the tightest of angles and found the side netting.

Next, a surging run ended with a low drive from the edge of the box that was brilliantly turned aside by Stanley keeper Aaron Chapman.

Morgan Gibbs-White wasn’t far away with a shot that bobbled wide after he had held off a defender before Wolves went two up in the 37th minute. Donovan Wilson controlled the ball at the far post before whipping it into the net from six-yards out.

Wanderers continued to look the more dangerous side going forward and, in first half stoppage time they scored a third – this time from the spot. Gibbs-White was tripped by Sykes and Ronan drilled the ball into the bottom corner out of reach of Chapman.

Half-Time: Wolves 3 Accrington 0

There were two chances for Wilson in the opening stages of the new half. His first effort took a deflection off the legs of Enobakhare forcing a diving save from Chapman at his near post.

Then Wilson cut into the right of the box and shot into the side netting from a good position.

Accrington made three changes in a five minute spell and Wolves sent on Anthony Breslin for Connor Johnson.

On 67 minutes Enobakhare powered into the Stanley box and from the corner of the six-yard box he struck a fierce drive into the opposite side of the net (pictured).

Chapman just managed to knock the ball away from the feet of Gibbs-White who was odds on for a fifth after a clever flick from Wilson.

Burgoyne made routine saves from Clark and Taylor-Fletcher in the closing minutes but, by then, Stanley was a well beaten side.

Wolves: Burgoyne, Simpson, Deslandes, Herc, Upton, Johnson (Breslin 62), Wilson (Delacoe 78), Ronan (capt), Enobakhare, Gibbs-White, Randall (Carnat 81).

Unused subs: Odoffin, Levingston, Finnie, Beasely.

Stanley: Chapman, Pearson, Hughes, Clarke, McConville (Eagles 61), Taylor-Fletcher, Lacey, Hewitt, Sykes, Conneely (capt) (Ogle 56), Kee (Boco 59).

Unused subs: Parish, Davies, Beckles, Gornell.

Referee: D. Webb.

Attendance: 547.

    Related Articles