Skip to main content

REPORT | Early Goals Pave Way To Victory


23:55 20th February 2017

Wilson and Nazon on target against Seagulls.

Wolves 2 (Wilson 2, Nazon 18)

Brighton & Hove Albion 1 (Bjordal 83)

Despite a late fightback by Brighton, the Wolves under 23s held on to record a 2-1 victory - their ninth League win of the season and a win that took them up to third place in the table.

The Molineux youngsters made a terrific start taking the lead after just 70 seconds. Nicu Carnat hit a low cross from the left and Donovan Wilson ran in to slot home at the near post.

It was almost two in the seventh minute as Morgan Gibbs-White took the ball out of defence and powered his way through the middle of the field before finding Wilson whose drive was parried by Brighton keeper Rob Sanchez with a defender clearing behind for a corner.

Fine work by Gibbs-White created an opening for Anthony Breslin whose cross was blocked. The loose ball ran to Gibbs-White but he was just too high from 25-yards.

Wolves went two up in the 18th minute. Gibbs-White fed Duckens Nazon who beat his marker before burying a low shot into the corner of the net from the edge of the area.

It took an excellent save from Sanchez to keep out Wilson’s shot on the turn as Wanderers continued to make inroads on the visitors defence.

A timely tackle by Dominic Iorfa halted James Tilley’s progress as the striker ran into the area, and then Tilley cut in from the left and fired a fraction wide of the far post as Brighton finally started to threaten.

Just before the break, Dan Armstrong saw his on target effort blocked by a defender.

Half-Time: Wolves 2 Brighton 0

There was an early opportunity for Wolves after the restart when Wilson was fouled by Ben Barclay just a foot outside the Brighton box. Armstrong’s free-kick struck the wall and his follow up shot was also blocked.

The Scottish winger was a lot closer in the 56th minute as he ran into the box and hit an angled drive that was a whisker wide of the far post.

An Armstrong corner was knocked down to Iorfa who had is back to goal. The defender quickly turned and got in a close range shot that was blocked by the knees of Sanchez.

Wolves made a double change on the hour mark replacing scorers Wilson and Nazon with Joe Delacoe and Christian Herc.

Herc was close to a spectacular third when he flicked a Carnat cross just wide before a final home change saw Conor Levingston taking over from Dan McKenna.

Brighton became more of a threat as the game entered its final phases and, in the 83rd minute, the south coast side reduced the deficit when Henrik Bjordal turned in a low cross from substitute Connor Tighe.

Although Brighton went flat out for an equaliser, goalkeeper Harry Burgoyne and his defence stood firm through almost five minutes of added time to claim the three points.

Wolves: Burgoyne, Iorfa, Breslin, McKenna (Levingston 74), Johnson (capt), Williamson, Armstrong, Gibbs-White, Wilson (Delacoe 61), Nazon (Herc 61), Carnat.

Unused subs: Upton, John.

Bookings: Breslin (64 – foul).

Brighton: Sanchez, Collar (capt), Cox, Barclay, Dallison, White, Forbes, Molumby, Tilley, Bjordal, Davies (Tighe 78)

Unused subs: Hall, Collings, Barnett, Cadman.

Referee: R. Lewis.

Attendance: 137.

    Related Articles