Skip to main content

REPORT | Late Goal Earns Potters A Point


00:26 16th February 2017

Wilson hits ninth of the season

Wolves 1 (Wilson 46)

Stoke City 1 (Ngoy 85)

A late goal from Stoke’s Julien Ngoy cancelled out Donovan Wilson’s opener for Wolves and gave the Potteries side a share of the spoils from a game played out on a saturated pitch.

The best chance in the early stages went the way of Wolves as Dan Armstrong’s powerful header was just wide of the far post after Nicu Carnat had supplied the cross.

City were awarded a penalty in the 20th minute when Andy Lonergan and Tyrese Campbell collided in the box. The keeper was booked and after treatment Campbell got up to take the kick himself. But Lonergan dived to his right to make a smart save as he turned the ball behind.

Ngoy took the ball deep into the area and from the by-line he pulled it back but the danger was averted by Mike Williamson who cut out the low cross and cleared.

On 40 minutes some neat footwork from Wilson saw the youngster creating the space for a shot that drew an excellent block from City keeper Daniel Bachmann. The loose ball ran to Duckens Nazon but he lifted his drive over the bar.

Just before the break, Harry Souttar went into the book after clattering into Regan Upton and then City had a goal ruled out when the referee ruled that Mark Waddington fouled Cameron Borthwick-Jackson as he climbed to reach Ngoy’s cross.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 City 0

Cameron John replaced Williamson at the start of the second half.

Just 20 seconds after the resumption Wilson gave Wanderers the lead as he finished from close quarters after a fine cross from Nazon. It was his ninth goal of the campaign.

Then Bachmann had to punch away a free-kick from Wilson after the referee had spotted a handling offence some 25-yards out.

Carnat wasn’t far away with a first time shot after Dominic Iorfa had played the ball in to him, and then Bachmann saved an angled effort from Armstrong at the near post.

The Stoke keeper then made another good save, this time from Carnat who had cut in from the wing, before a second Wolves change saw Joe Delacoe going on in place of Nazon.

Lonergan made a great save to deny Ngoy who had been played in by Dan Jarvis before Lewis Banks was yellow carded for a foul on Carnat.

A smart turn by Armstrong earned him the space and time to deliver a low, driven cross that Wilson got a foot to - but he could only divert the ball wide.

Ross Finnie became the second Wolves man to receive a caution after he had fouled Eden Lecygne.

Ngoy bagged City’s equaliser in the 85th minute when he curled the ball beyond the dive of Lonergan and into the corner of the net.

Wilson almost restored Wolves’ lead in stoppage time with a shot on the turn that was deflected inches wide of the post.

Wolves: Lonergan, Iorfa, Borthwick-Jackson, Finnie, Upton, Williamson (John 45), Armstrong, Watt, Wilson, Nazon (Delacoe 64), Carnat.

Unused subs: Breslin, Ruddy, Allan.

Bookings: Lonergan (20 – foul), Finnie (76 – foul).

Potters: Bachmann, Banks, McJannet, Lecygne, Souttar, L. Edwards, T. Edwards (Da Silva 55), Waddington, Campbell (Devlin 76), Jarvis, Ngoy (Twyford 88).

Unused subs: Isted, Sorensen.

Bookings: Souttar (44 – foul), Banks (69 – foul).

Referee: S. Allison.

Attendance: 121.

    Related Articles