Skip to main content

Women Fall To Rams


19:58 24th August 2014

by by Matt Sacco

Nine goals on opening day

Wolves Women 3(Selmes 52, Hinton 66, 74)

Derby County Ladies 6(Johnson 5, Griffiths 11, Ledgister 25, Perry 35, Steadman 60, Reay 90)

Wolves Women started their Premier League campaign with a painful defeat at home to Derby.

A torrid first half saw Wolves concede four goals as poor defensive errors proved extremely costly.

Melissa Johnson was allowed too much space down the left side, as she cut in and finished well past Natalie Hall. Derby doubled their lead soon after with a well rehearsed free-kick that saw Sam Griffiths tap in from 12 yards.

Abi Hinton, pictured, twice came close to pulling a goal back for Wolves but her back-post efforts were narrowly off target.

Nikki Ledgister made it three before the half-hour from close range before Amy Perry stunned Wolves with a fourth goal, rifling in a volley from the edge of the box.

A double substitution and a half time team-talk saw Wolves come out much better in the second half. A spell of early pressure saw Hinton fouled in the box, and Selmes stepped up to slot in to reduce the arrears.

Selmes then hit the outside of the post before Layla Salter saw an effort come back off the upright.

Derby killed any chance of a Wolves revival when Lauren Steadman was allowed to cut in from the left and fire past Hall to make it five.

Wolves continued to press forward however, and Hinton took advantage of a defensive mix up to volley in from 18 yards to make it 5-2.

With fifteen minutes to go Jen Anslow’s free-kick was met at the back post by Hinton, and Wolves had a third goal to restore some pride.

As injury time approached, Wolves were once again undone by poor defending as Natalie Reay stole in and fired into the bottom corner to wrap up the win for Derby.

Wolves can take positives from the second half, but will need to quickly fix their defensive problems if they are to have a successful campaign.

Manager Trevor Mullings was disappointed with his side. He said: “I was disappointed with the way that we applied ourselves to the start of the game.

“We were slow to meet the ball, closing down our opponents and to react to phases of open play and dead ball situations. 

“The second half started more positively - we started to close down early which enabled us to gain possession and led to two of our goals within the first 12 minutes of the second half.

“We continued to create chances but we must put them away, and fatigue and a lack of concentration played a major part in conceding a late goal.”

Team: Hall, Green (North), Widdal, Salter, Anslow, Perks, Cross (Hewitt), Berry (Palin), Quick, Hinton, Selmes.  Unused subs: McElroy, Hopkins.



    Related Articles