Skip to main content


22:54 24th February 2017

Derby Dismay

Wolves 1 (Dicko 73)

Birmingham City 2 (Kieftenbeld 26, Davis 32)

After conceding twice to Birmingham in a scrappy opening half, Wolves pulled one back through Nouha Dicko and laid siege to Thomasz Kuszczak’s goal but despite going close on several occasions, an equaliser didn’t arrive and the Molineux men suffered a fifth consecutive defeat.

There was just one change to the Wolves team with Richard Stearman retuning in central defence in place of Kortney Hause.

Wolves kicked-off attacking the North Bank end and inside the first three minutes fouls by David Davis and Ryan Shotton on Helder Costa and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson respectively led to free-kicks from the left and right midway in the Blues half of the field. Costa took them both but on each occasion he over hit the ball.

Josh Dacres-Cogley bowled over Costa and this time Jack Price’s free-kick had the Blues defence struggling to clear. When the ball dropped to Matt Doherty, his shot lacked the power needed and Kuszczak collected.

Robert Tesche was well wide with a long-range first time effort before Wolves went close to taking a 24th minute lead. Doherty’s run was rewarded with a corner that was taken by Price and Stearman, with a towering header, was just a foot wide of the far post.

Two minutes later Blues took the lead after a mistake by Carl Ikeme. The keeper ‘lost’ Craig Gardner’s centre allowing Maikel Kieftenbeld the chance to prod the ball over the line from eight-yards out. 

George Saville saw his shot deflected wide before Bovarsson went into the book after a brief confrontation with Paul Robinson.

In the 32nd minute Wolves were left facing an uphill task as Birmingham added a second. Che Adams’ cross took a deflection off Stearman before rolling into the path of Davis who beat Ikeme with an angled drive from just inside the area.

Wolves won yet another free-kick when Emilio Nsue checked Doherty’s run along the by-line but Bodvarsson headed Price’s free-kick delivery over the bar.

Ryan Shotton was yellow carded for a foul on Bodvarsson and Dacres –Cogley quickly followed him into the book for shoving over Andi Weimann.

Half-time: Wolves 0 Blues 2

Dicko for Saville was an interval change for Wanderers.

Another Blues booking followed in the 50th minute when Cheick Keita fouled Costa to the right of the City area. Danny Batth’s header from Price’s free-kick wasn’t too far off the mark.

The game erupted in the 53rd minute when Robinson felled Bodvarsson and then reacted angrily. After consulting the linesman the referee brandished the red card.

City then made a change sending Krystian Bielik on for Gardener.

Kuszczak made an acrobatic save when Dicko got his head to a Costa cross. Dave Edwards and Bielik clashed heads as they went for the loose ball which was cleared before they received treatment.

Conor Coady sent in a low cross that ran right through the City six-yard box, and in the next attack Batth was penalised for a foul on the keeper as the ball bounced around in the Blues goalmouth.

Wolves’ pressure finally paid off in the 73rd minute when Dicko swept the ball home from close range after Costa had fired a low cross into the box.

Two minutes later Edwards was no more than a yard wide with a first time effort following a cross from Coady who was booked shortly afterwards for dissent.

Greg Stewart replaced Nsue and, within two minutes, he joined the long list of bookings after fouling Costa. The winger sent over the free-kick which Dicko headed on and Doherty, running in at the back post just failed to get a touch.

Doherty went close with a header after a Price free-kick before Kuszczak was booked for time wasting. 

In stoppage time Doherty headed over following Coady’s cross and, with the last move of the game, Batth headed wide from Costa’s corner.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Coady, Edwards, Batth (capt), Stearman, Costa, Price, Bodvarsson, Saville (Dicko 45), Weimann.

Unused subs: Lonergan, Enobakhare, Saiss, Gibbs-White, Williamson, Marshall.

Bookings: Bodvarsson (31 – ungentlemanly conduct), Coady (77 – dissent).

Blues: Kuszczak, Nsue (Stewart 77), Robinson (capt), Shotton, Kieftenbeld, Tesche, Gardner (Bielik 54), Adams, Dacres-Cogley, Davis, Keita.

Unused subs: Legzdins, Gleeson, Stewart, Frei, O’Keeffe, Sinclair.

Bookings: Shotton (40 – foul), Dacres-Cogley (43 – foul), Keita (50 – foul), Stewart 79 – foul), Kuszczak (88 – time wasting).

Sending-Off: Robinson (53 – violent conduct).

Referee: S. Martin.

Attendance: 27,541.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.