Skip to main content


19:25 29th August 2015

REPORT | Sub Sinks Addicks

Wolves 2 (Edwards 65, Le Fondre 85)

Charlton Athletic 1 (Gudmundsson 55)

A late goal from Adam Le Fondre, his first for the club, completed Wolves’ comeback against a resilient Charlton side and gave the Molineux men their second League win of the campaign.

Kenny Jackett made four changes to the side that had lost at Cardiff with Dominic Iorfa, Richard Stearman, Rajiv van La Parra and Sheyi Ojo making way for Scott Golbourne, Matt Doherty, James Henry and Nouha Dicko. Dave Edwards captained the side.

The visitors kicked-off attacking the South Bank end but it was Wolves that almost stole into an early lead as Benik Afobe pulled the ball back to Henry who, from the edge of the box, curled it inches wide.

Henry figured again in the eighth minute with a clever turn that took him away from his marker and the cross that followed was headed over by Edwards.

More good work from Henry presented another well delivered cross which this time skidded off the top of Afobe’s head as Wolves continued to dominate the attacking play.

Nick Pope had to leave his area to head clear a deep through ball from Edwards as Afobe closed in before the keeper was forced to tip over a piledriver from Henry after Golbourne had played a short corner into his path.

Much of the threats were coming from Henry’s wing play and when he planted a through ball into the path of Edwards, the midfielder was crowded out by two defenders as he ran into the box.

More Henry balls into the area quickly followed. A cross was just too far in front of Edwards and then a free-kick was headed over by Kortney Hause.

As the half drew to a close Charlton twice threatened Carl Ikeme’s goal. Jordan Cousins tried his luck from long range but his effort was far too high.

Then the Wolves keeper was forced into his first real save of the half when he dived to take a header from Johann Berg Gudmundsson following Karlan Ahearne-Grant’s centre.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Charlton 0

After a mundane opening to the second-half, Charlton stunned the home support by taking a 55th minute lead. Substitute Igor Vetokele slipped the ball to Gudmundsson who skipped into the box and drilled an angled shot across Ikeme and into the corner.

There was a chance of an immediate response when Afobe played Doherty in on the overlap. The defender advanced towards the bye-line and hit a fierce low cross that hit Morgan Fox which took the sting out of the ball allowing Pope to save.

A slip by Doherty almost cost a second goal. He lost possession to Zakarya Bergdich who clipped the ball across the face of goal with no visiting player there to take advantage.

The cause wasn’t helped on the hour mark as Dicko was hurt in a challenge with Chris Solly near the left-hand corner flag. The striker waved his arm immediately indicating he was in trouble and after lengthy treatment he was carried off on a stretcher.

Dicko was replaced by Le Fondre and, at the same time, Ojo was sent on in place of Kevin McDonald.

Wolves pulled level in the 65th minute when Doherty’s low cross fell to Edwards whose first effort hit Alou Diarra. But when the ball bounced back to the skipper he made no mistake converting from six-yards.

A Henry cross was turned over by Pope and from the corner, taken by Henry, Doherty nodded the ball back across the face of goal and Edwards headed narrowly over the bar.

Henry was too high with a free-kick after Cousins had fouled Le Fondre and there was a close call at the other end when Patrick Bauer’s low shot was deflected narrowly wide.

Le Fondre shot over the bar with a first time effort from Ojo’s cross. But the on-loan striker made no mistake in the 85th minute as he turned home another Ojo ball into the six-yard box.

There were seven minutes of stoppage time but Wolves held on to become the first team to beat Charlton in the League this season.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Golbourne, Edwards (capt), Ebanks-Landell, Hause, Henry, Coady, Afobe (Wallace 88), McDonald (Ojo 62), Dicko (Le Fondre 62).

Unused subs: Martinez, Iorfa, Price, Enobakhare.

Charlton: Pope, Gudmundsson, Makienok (Vetokele 18), Fox, Cousins, Bergdich (Jackson 90), Kashi, Bauer, Solly (capt), Ahearne-Grant (Ba 45), Diarra.

Unused subs: Sarr, Charles-Cook, Lennon, Mitov.

Booking: Kashi (23 – foul). 

Referee: C. Kavanagh.

Attendance: 19,583

Sunderland Under 18s 3 Wolves 1 (Allen)


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.