Skip to main content


23:45 13th January 2015

Wolves Pay The Penalty

Wolves 3 (Edwards 71, 109, van La Parra 73)

Fulham 3 (Woodrow 27, 76, McCormack-pen 120+2)

After extra-time. Fulham win penalty shoot-out 5-3.

A Ross McCormack penalty in the dying seconds of extra-time took Wolves and Fulham into a penalty shoot-out decider which was won by the Londoners giving them the prize of a fourth round FA Cup tie at Sunderland.

Wolves had come from behind through Dave Edwards and Rajiv van La Parra and although Fulham quickly levelled matters to take the game to extra-time, it looked as if Edwards’s second strike in blizzard conditions had won it for Kenny Jackett’s men. 

Liam McAlinden and Lee Evans returned in place of Nouha Dicko and Edwards who were named as substitutes, and Matt Doherty replaced the cup-tied Kortney Hause.

After an immaculately observed minute’s silence was observed in respect of Sir Jack Hayward, Wolves kicked-off attacking the North Bank end of the ground.

There was an early scare for the home team when Carl Ikeme hurt his leg after being forced into a full-length save to keep out McCormack’s long-range drive.

After treatment the keeper was able to resume and he wasn’t needed as Danny Batth headed clear Sean Kavanagh’s corner.

Ikeme then had little trouble in collecting a deflected effort from Cauley Woodrow before McCormack fired narrowly over after taking a return pass from Kavanagh.

In the 20th minute the Fulham defence failed to cut out James Henry’s cross and when the ball fell to McAlinden he unleashed a powerful shot that Marcus Bettinelli somehow managed to beat away.

In Wolves’ next attack McAinden pulled the ball back from the left into the path of van La Parra who shot straight at Bettinelli from the edge of the area.

McAlinden then tried a long range curler that drifted over the far angle before Fulham moved into a 27th minute lead. Kostas Stafylidis crossed from the left and Woodrow powered a header into the top corner from 10-yards.

The Cottagers almost had a second in the36th minute when McCormack played Moussa Dembele through on goal. A combination of Dominic Iorfa and Batth forced the striker wide and his shot on the turn went into the side netting.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Fulham 1

There was a double change for Wanderers on the resumption with Dicko replacing McAlinden and Edwards taking the place of Henry.

Snow began to fall as Wolves battled to get back into the game but chances at either end were few and far between. 

Dicko ran in from the right and took aim but his shot was blocked and cleared by a defender and, after Woodrow had been booked for tripping Evans, Dicko was penalised for a foul on the keeper when it appeared that Bettinelli had run into the striker.

Iorfa took the ball to the line before pulling it back to Dicko whose shot was deflected away and then luck was against Wolves following a 64th minute corner from Evans. Doherty’s far post header smacked against the post and the defender’s follow up shot was blocked. The ball ran to in KevMcDonald but he lifted it over the bar.

Five minutes later the woodwork again came to Fulham’s rescue. With everyone expecting Dicko to play the ball wide as he ran along the 18-yard line, he suddenly turned and hit a terrific shot that thumped against the bar with Edwards’s follow up striking a defender and looping just over Bettinelli’s goal.

Wolves deserved a goal and it arrived in the 71st minute as Iorfa got behind the Fulham defence and squared the ball into the six-yard box where Edwards was waiting to poke it home.

Two minutes later and the home crowd were on their feet again as van La Parra ran onto McDonald’s through ball and chipped the ball past Betenelli.

But the third goal in a five minute spell came at the other end when Woodrow got his second of the night scoring from close range after running on to Dembele’s pass.

As the game approached its normal finish time, Iorfa, van La Parra and Price combined to give Edwards a chance but the midfielder’s shot curled inches wide of the far post.

In the 90th minute Evans saw his shot deflected over the bar after more good work from Iorfa.

90 minutes: Wolves 2 Fulham 2

As extra-time began the snow returned and it was so thick that the surface very quickly became slippery with visibility on the far side of the field difficult.

Wolves enjoyed the better of the first 15 minutes with Bettinelli blocking from Iorfa, Doherty having a shot deflected wide and McDonald pulling a good save out of the keeper with a long range punt.

Four minutes into the second period of extra-time Edwards struck again as he flicked the ball home at the near post after a great run and cross from Batth.

And it looked as if that was going to be the winning goal until, in the 120th minute, McDonald was penalised for a foul on Seko Fofana just outside the home box. McCormack’s free-kick struck the arm of Evans in the wall and the referee pointed to the spot. McCormack beat Ikeme to take the game to the spot-kick decider.

Fulham began the shoot- out and they were to be successful with all five of their kicks – McCormack, Woodrow, Stafylidis, Patrick Roberts and Hugo Rodallega all converting whilst Edwards got Wolves off to a good start before Doherty fired wide with his attempt. Evans and Leon Clarke tucked away their kicks but Rodallega confirmed Fulham’s victory.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Iorfa, Evans, Batth (capt), Stearman, Henry (Edwards 45), McDonald, McAlinden (Dicko 45) (Clarke 118), Price, van La Parra.

Unused subs: Kuszczak, Saville, Ebanks-Landell, Jacobs.

Booking: van La Parra (73 – celebration). 

Fulham: Betinelli, Stafylidis, Hutchinson, Bodurov, Parker (capt) (Zverotic 105), Fofana, Woodrow, Dembele (Rodallega 78), Kavanagh (Roberts 78), Grimmer, McCormack.

Unused subs: Kiraly, Fotheringham, Williams, Burn.

Bookings: Woodrow (59 – foul), McCormack (90+4 – foul). 

Referee: D. Coote.

Attendance:  8,148.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.