Skip to main content


20:00 7th March 2015

Late Drama As Spoils Are Shared

Wolves 2 (Afobe 14, Price 50)

Watford 2 (Vydra 30, Deeney 65)

Watford pegged Wolves back twice in an exciting end to end encounter at Molineux that ended in controversial circumstances as Bakary Sako was sent-off following what appeared to be a blatant piece of simulation by Fernando Forestieri.     

After the narrow defeat at Bournemouth, Kenny Jackett decided on two changes with James Henry and Jack Price taking the places of Dave Edwards and Nouha Dicko who were named as substitutes.

Watford kicked-off attacking the South Bank end and the first threat came from the visitors when Jaun Carlos Paredes hoisted a long throw into the box which was headed clear by Richard Stearman.

A Sako free-kick was cleared after Troy Deeney had fouled Rajiv van La Parra to the right of the Watford box and then Gabriele Angella cut out a through ball from Kevin McDonald that would otherwise have left Benik Afobe in the clear.

Watford had to make a change after just 12 minutes as Gianni Munari went on in place of Almen Abdi who had pulled up after a challenge with McDonald.

Two minutes later a brilliant threaded pass from McDonald led to Wolves taking the lead. The midfielder’s low pass curled into the path of Afobe who took a touch before thumping home his seventh goal for Wolves.

Henry almost made it two with a speculative shot from all of 30-yards that skidded across the surface forcing Heurelho Gomez into a diving save.

Watford drew level on the half-hour as Hornets skipper Deeney released Matej Vydra who confidently stroked the ball past Tomasz Kuszczak from 20-yards out.

Stearman went on one of his marauding runs taking the ball from well inside his own half. After taking a return pass from van La Parra, he was in place to hit a low cross that Henry hit high and wide as he ran in at the near post.

Gomes tipped over an Afobe header following a cross from Henry and then, shortly before the break, Vydra was well wide with a shot on the turn.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Watford 1

There was a chance for Henry shortly after the restart but his volley was too high.

On 50 minutes Wolves regained the advantage as Price scored his first senior goal for the club. Sako’s corner wasn’t cleared and when the ball fell to Kortney Hause, he let fly from 22-yards with his drive striking Price on the back and flying past Gomes.

A minute later, van La Parra cut into the box and shot into the side netting and, as Wolves continued to pile on the pressure, Henry headed narrowly wide from a Price centre.

Craig Cathcart wasn’t far away from putting into his own goal as he turned behind an Afobe cross at the near post.

Then Watford made their second change with Forestieri replacing Ben Watson shortly before they drew level in the 65th minute as Deeney headed in a cross from former Molineux midfielder Adlene Guedioura.

A superb piece of ball control from Sako saw him ride three tackles as he kept possession before feeding Henry whose through ball to Afobe was cut out by Cathcart.

Gomes saved a low long range effort from Sako and, at the other end, Munari ran in and headed wide following a probing cross from Deeney.

Kevin Doyle was sent on for Henry before Tommie Hoban became the first man to be booked in the game after he had fouled van La Parra.

Gomes plucked a shot from Afobe out of the air as the game approached its conclusion before, in stoppage time, the game erupted.

Hoban clattered into van La Parra and the referee produced a second yellow before brandishing the red. 

Just a minute later Forestieri fouled Sako in virtually the same spot on the pitch. As the pair clashed on getting to their feet, Forestieri went down clutching his face and to the obvious anger of the home players and supporters, Sako was sent off. The Watford man was booked presumably for the tackle.  

Wolves: Kuszczak, Doherty, Hause, Henry (Doyle 79), Batth (capt), Stearman, van La Parra, McDonald, Afobe, Price, Sako.

Unused subs: McCarey, Golbourne, Edwards, Iorfa, Ebanks-Landell, Dicko.

Booking: Price (90+4 - foul).

Sending-Off: (Sako – 90+3 – violent conduct).

Watford: Gomes, Angella, Guedioura, Tozser, Deeney (capt), Paredes (Motta 88), Cathcart, Vydra, Abdi (Munari 12), Watson (Forestieri 62), Hoban.

Unused subs: Bond, Layun, Pudil, Anya.

Bookings: Hoban (82 – foul), Forestieri (90+3 - foul).

Sending-Off: Hoban (90+2 – foul, second bookable offence).

Referee: B. Malone.

Attendance: 23,146.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 3 (Ennis 2, Ronan) Bolton 1


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.