Skip to main content


17:00 18th October 2014

Wolves Share Spoils in 3-3 Thriller

Millwall 3 (Gregory 67, Fuller 81, 87)

Wolves 3 (Batth 22, Ebanks-Landell 60, Sako 64)

Kenny Jackett looked as if he was going to make a victorious return to Millwall as his team steamed into a three goal advantage. But the Lions defied the odds to hit back and take a point although their equaliser came about in controversial circumstances.

There were two changes to the Wanderers team with Lee Evans returning from injury and Ethan Ebanks-Landell taking a central defensive position alongside Danny Batth. Scott Golbourne and Richard

Stearman dropped down to the bench and Tommy Rowe slotted into the left-back position.

Jackett and his assistant Joe Gallen were afforded a standing ovation by the home supporters on their return to the New Den as Wolves kicked-off defending the end of the ground that housed around 2,000 travelling fans.

There was little by the way of chances in the opening stages save for a first time 20-yard effort from Scott McDonald that sailed high over the bar.

In the 12th minute Shaun Williams had an audacious attempt at goal from the halfway line and although he wasn’t a million miles away, Carl Ikeme kept a careful eye on the ball as it went over.

A Dave Edwards through ball was just too heavy for Bakary Sako and keeper David Forde collected, and when the first corner of the game went Millwall’s way, Richard Chaplow’s kick drifted across the face of goal and out on the far side.

Worryingly, the referee didn’t spot a push on Ikeme as the ball came over, that left the keeper in the back of the net.

Wolves first corner, in the 22nd minute, saw them moving into the lead. Sako’s kick went straight through to Batth and from six-yards out he drove the ball into the back of the net.

Ikeme had to dive full length to turn round a low 25-yarder from Scott McDonald as Millwall looked for a quick response and then Jimmy Abdou sliced wide from a good position after Lee Gregory had carved out the opening.

Nouha Dicko went into the book for an over-zealous challenge on home skipper Alan Dunne  before Wolves survived vehement penalty appeals from the home players and supporters after Matt Doherty caught Gregory as he slid in to clear.

In stoppage time Rajiv van La Parra teed up a chance for Kevin McDonald on the edge of the box but his effort was blocked and cleared.

Half-Time: Millwall 0 Wolves 1

The opening stages of the new half saw a Matthew Briggs shot blocked, a routine save from Ikeme from Aiden O’Brien’s low drive, and a Sako effort that went straight through to Forde. 

But luck was with Wolves in the 51st minute as Gregory crossed and Scott McDonald powered in a header that came back off the post.

James Henry didn’t receive quite as cordial as that of his manager when he made a Millwall return coming on for van La Parra. Henry had only been on the field for a matter of seconds when Rowe’s cross hit his chest forcing Forde into a diving save.

Henry was then shown a yellow card for a late challenge on Briggs before Millwall made two changes with Lee Martin and Ricardo Fuller replacing O’Brien and Abdou respectively.

Wolves went two up on the hour mark after Byron Webster had fouled Sako to the left of the home area. Sako’s free-kick caught the head of Fuller and hit the foot of the far post and in the brief scramble that followed, Ebanks-Landell forced it over the line.

Four minutes later Briggs went into the book for a foul on Henry to the right of the Millwall box. Sako again took the free-kick and this time the Mali winger sent the ball into the top corner on the far side of goal.

Millwall soon hit back and reduced the deficit with Gregory running onto a through ball to beat the unprotected Ikeme.

Former Wolf Scott Malone replaced Chaplow, Ebanks-Landell was booked for a foul on Fuller and after a goalbound shot from Edwards bounced clear off Dicko, Batth also found himself staring at a yellow for a shirt pull on Gregory.

Henry shot over as he connected with a good cross from Edwards and a second Wolves substitution saw Yannick Sagbo taking over from Dicko up front.

In the 81st minute Scott McDonald pulled the ball back for Fuller who lashed it past Ikeme and Gregory almost equalised shortly afterwards but he lifted Martin’s cross over the bar.

But Millwall did pull level in the 87th minute albeit in controversial circumstances. Stearman came on for Ebanks-Landell and the defender was still running into position when the referee allowed a throw-in from the right to be taken. From the cross that quickly followed the ball fell to Fuller and with the visiting defence still trying to find their positions, the striker was left unmarked to beat Ikeme.

The Wolves players were furious but the referee, after consulting his linesman, allowed the goal. Kevin McDonald was booked for voicing his disapproval.

Evans became the sixth Wolves player to go into the book for a foul on Malone, before the game entered eight minutes of stoppage time.

There were literally seconds left when Evans broke clear and, as he was about to run into the box, he was felled by Williams who was shown a straight red card.

Sako took the free-kick and he looked on to restore his side’s lead but he was denied by Forde who pulled off a fantastic save at the end of a pulsating, but for Wolves, disappointing game.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne (capt), Williams, Gregory, Woolford, Bridges, Webster, O’Brien (Martin 55), Abdou (Fuller 56), S. McDonald, Chaplow (Malone 67). 

Unused subs: King, Shittu, Upson, Beevers.

Sending-Off: Williams (90+8 professional foul).

Booking: Briggs (64 – foul).

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Rowe, Edwards, Batth (capt), Ebanks-Landell (Stearman 86), van La Parra (Henry 54), Evans, Dicko (Sagbo 80), K. McDonald, Sako.

Unused subs: Flatt, Golbourne, Saville, Jacobs.

Bookings: Dicko (35 – foul), Henry (55 – foul), Ebanks-Landell (68 – foul), Batth (70 – foul), McDonald (87 – dissent), Evans (90+5 - foul).

Referee: D. Drysdale.

Attendance: 13,428 (2,102 away supporters).


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.