Skip to main content


19:22 20th September 2014

Wolves Edge Battle Of Wanderers

Wolves 1 (Dicko 42)

Bolton 0

Although they had to withstand some late Bolton pressure, Wolves hung on to claim the three points thanks to a Nouha Dicko header shortly before the break.

Carl Ikeme further enhanced his popularity with the Molineux faithful with a brilliant second half penalty save from Owen Garvin. 

Dave Edwards and Dicko both returned to the starting line-up in place of George Saville and Leon Clarke who were named as substitutes.

Bolton kicked-off attacking the South Bank end and they could have been ahead after just 30 seconds as Jay Spearing’s on target 20-yard drive struck Danny Batth and deflected away to the right. 

Wolves responded with an effort from Lee Evans that flew over the near angle. An inch perfect through ball from Bakary Sako released Scott Golbourne on the overlap but his low cross was hacked clear.

After Bolton had posed the early attacking threats, Wolves were starting to push their guests back and after keeper Andy Lonergan had punched clear another Golbourne corner, a Sako free-kick was cleared after Dean Moxey had handled wide on the right.

From a James Henry corner, in the 18th minute, Batth got in a header that was turned over by Lonergan before Bolton missed a good opportunity when the unmarked Craig Davies, a one-time Molineux striker, scooped the ball straight at Ikeme after Joe Mason had created the opening.

Evans was only just off target with a tremendous first time 25-yard drive after he had latched onto a half clearance before Dicko was ‘shouldered’ off the ball by Moxey as the pair chased Evans’s through ball into the box.

Evans took a return pass from Sako and his low cross was turned behind for a corner. The Bolton defence struggled to clear Henry’s flag-kick and when Batth flicked the ball on to Dicko he could only divert it into the arms of Lonergan.

Edwards and Golbourne combined to send Sako to the by-line with Lonergan just beating Dicko to the ball at the near post.

But the keeper was beaten by the striker in the 42nd minute. Matt Doherty crossed from the right took a deflection and Dicko out-jumped Dorian Dervite to glance an angled header past the keeper.

Shortly afterwards a squirrel joined the Bolton attack but it was ushered off the pitch by Batth before it could do any damage!

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Bolton 0

Dicko, who was suffering from a tight hamstring, was replaced by Clarke at the start of the second-half.

Three minutes after the resumption Golbourne almost doubled Wolves’ lead with a powerful header that was blocked by Lonergan after Henry had delivered a cross from the right.

Batth was booked for a foul on Mason and from the resultant free-kick, Spearing hit the ball straight to Ikeme.

Jermaine Beckford replaced Craig Davies in the 55th minute just before Doherty ran onto Kevin McDonald’s through pass and cut inside to work a good shooting position for himself. He got plenty of power behind his shot but the ball struck a defender and bounced clear.

After 58 minutes the visitors were awarded a penalty when Batth was adjudged to have fouled Beckford. Garvin took the spot kick and Ikeme dived to his right to make a great save. The loose ball ran back to Garvan but Ikeme, still lying on the floor, saved again.

Former Wolf Mark Davies received a lively reception when he was sent on for Garvan, and before he had touched the ball he looked on as Lonergan saved a snapshot from Sako.

Ikeme had to touch a swerving cross from Mason onto the crossbar, and then Davies received a booking for dissent.

Evans’s shot from the edge of the box went straight to Lonergan then Henry brilliantly kept the ball in play and under control before hitting a low cross that Matt Mills cleared at the near post as Clarke looked to prosper. Mills was hurt in the incident and received treatment from both sets of physio’s before resuming.

Bolton were pushing for an equaliser in the closing minutes and Ikeme had to be at his best again as he blocked from Liam Feeney at the near post.

Feeney then set up a chance for Beckford who, from just inside the box, shot straight at the keeper.

The three points moved Wolves up to third place in the Championship table just a point behind the leaders Nottingham Forest.  

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Golbourne, Edwards (Saville 65), Batth (capt), Stearman, Henry (Rowe 77), Evans, Dicko (Clarke 45), McDonald, Sako.

Unused subs: McCarey, van La Parra, Ricketts, McAlinden.

Booking:  Batth (51 – foul).

Bolton: Lonergan, Dervite, Mills, Moxey, Ream, Mason (Danns 70), Spearing (capt), Feeney, Chung-Yong, C. Davies (Beckford 55), Garvan (M. Davies 65).

Unused subs: Kenny, Kamara, Pratley, McNaughton. 

Booking: M. Davies (70 - dissent). 

Referee: A. Madley.

Attendance: 22,695.

Stoke Academy Under 18s 1 Wolves 4 (Delacoe 2, Ronan, Enobakhare)


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.