Skip to main content


18:01 31st August 2013

A Double Scotch With Ice

Port Vale 1 (Pope (90+2)

Wolves 3 (Griffiths 56, Sigurdarson 74, McDonald 83)

Wolves made it four wins in a row and moved up to second place in the League One table after a convincing display at Vale Park. Goals from Scottish duo Leigh Griffiths and Kevin McDonald sandwiched one from Icelandic striker Bjorn Sigurdarson before the home side grabbed a late consolation.

Kenny Jackett made three changes to the team that started against Crawley Town with Scott Golbourne, making his debut, McDonald, his full debut and Griffiths coming in for Bakary Sako, Lee Evans and Sigurdarson.

Vale kicked-off attacking the end of the ground that housed 4,500 noisy Wolves supporters.

In the third minute, a Griffiths corner was half cleared and McDonald’s follow up cross was punched clear by home keeper Chris Neal.

Another Griffiths corner, after Zeli Ismail’s cross had been nodded behind, was headed onto the roof of the net by Matt Doherty.

In the tenth minute, Griffiths’s third flag-kick was cleared upfield to Jennison Myrie-Williams who sped into the area and hit and angled shot that Carl Ikeme dived to save.

McDonald was too high with an effort from distance and then Myrie-Williams, at full stretch, could only divert the ball wide after a deep centre from Adam Yates.

A good through pass from Kevin Doyle released Griffiths bur he dragged his shot wide of the far post from the edge of the box.

Vale won their first corner in the 17th minute. Taken by Chris Lines the ball was headed out and although the home side soon won a second flag-kick, this time Ikeme plucked Lines’s effort out of the air.

The Molineux keeper then held onto a Lines free-kick from the left of the area after Doherty had been pulled up for a shoulder charge on Myrie-Williams.

Doyle picked up a loose ball in midfield and homed in on the Vale goal before hitting a low shot that was only just wide.

Ismail fired over the bar from the edge of the box after cutting inside before Vale lost the services of former Wolves Academy defender Daniel Jones who limped off to be replaced by Richard Duffy.

Neal had to be at his best to turn aside a stinging effort from Ismail and then David Davis had to receive attention after taking a clearance full in the face.

Although he recovered, Wolves lost new boy Golbourne who limped off in first half stoppage time Evans taking his place. 

Neal made another good save to deny Griffiths who then had two corners cleared before the whistle blew for the interval.

Port Vale 0 Wolves 0

Within a minute of the restart, there was a chance for Griffiths who scuffed his shot at the far post after a deep cross from Sam Ricketts.

There were howls of derision from the home supporters when Lines barged Ikeme who was in mid-air to collect a cross.

Wolves moved ahead in the 56th minute thanks to a cracking goal from Griffiths who cut past his marker before drilling a fierce, low shot inside the near post.

Vale were almost back on level terms four minutes later as Doug Loft headed against the post after a cross from Yates.

Doyle threaded a pass through to Griffiths who raced to the edge of the Vale box only for Neal to save his low drive.

Midway through the half Sigurdarson took the place of Ismail seconds before Carl Dickinson, with a 20-yard volley, drew a fantastic save from Ikeme.

Davis went into the book for taking his time in taking a free-kick before Wolves doubled their advantage in the 74th minute through Sigurdarson. Griffiths crossed low from the right and the Icelandic striker’s sidefoot volley went into the net despite Neal getting a hand to the ball.

Anthony Forde was the final change for Wanderers as he replaced Doyle and he joined in the celebrations as McDonald capped a fine individual performance by scoring Wolves’ third in the 83rd minute.

Sigurdarson took a return pass from Griffiths before unselfishly presenting McDonald with the opportunity of opening his Wolves account.

In stoppage time, after Lines saw his shot come back off the post, Pope headed a consolation goal for the Potteries team.

Vale: Neal, Yates, Jones (Duffy 30) , Robertson, Dickinson, Loft, Myrie-Williams (Dodds70), Pope, Lines, Griffith, Hughes (Williamson 65).

Unused subs: Johnson, Shuker, Mohamed, Birchall.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Ricketts, McDonald, Batth, Stearman, Ismail (Sigurdarson 65), Davis, Griffiths, Doyle (Horde 75), Golbourne (Evans 45).

Unused subs: Elokobi, Cassidy, Price, McCarey.

Bookings: Davis (73 – time wasting), Evans (90+3 – kicking ball away at free-kick).

Referee: G. Scott.

Attendance: 12,601 (4,461 away supporters). 


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.