Skip to main content


17:40 9th March 2013

Felled At Forest

Nottingham Forest 3 (Lansbury 31, 67, McGugan 90)

Wolves 1 (Doherty 65)

Wolves could and should have taken something from their trip to the City Ground but, after coming back from a goal down against in form Nottingham Forest, a lapse in concentration saw the East Midlanders regain the initiative almost immediately.

There wasn’t much between the teams but after Stephen Ward had been sent-off in the closing stages, Forest took advantage scoring a third just before the end.

Bjorn Sigurdarson came in for Jake Cassidy as the only change to the side that had beaten Millwall in midweek. Forest kicked-off attacking the end of the ground that housed over 2,000 Wolves supporters.

Most of the early action though, was at the Trent End with a Henri Lansbury centre flying through the box before Roger Johnson charged down a shot from Dexter Blackstock.

Sigurdarson, with a back header from Ward’s cross, was the first to threaten the home goal but the ball went straight to Karl Darlow.

Gonzalo Jara’s challenge on Dave Edwards some 25-yards out gave Wolves a free-kick but Bakary Sako’s effort hit the Forest wall and bounced to safety.

Simon Cox did find the Wolves net from close quarters but the lineman’s flag was already up for offside, and then Carl Ikeme was in position to watch a low shot from Radoslaw Majewski pass wide of the post.

Forest were reduced to ten men for a few minutes as their captain, Danny Collins, received treatment to a head wound.

In the 20th minute, Sigurdarson just failed to get a touch to Jamie O’Hara’s through ball as he swung a foot and Darlow was there to collect.

There was a chance for Edwards after Sylvan Ebanks-Blake had touched a Ward long throw into his path but the midfielder fired wide of the target.

Forest took the lead in the 31st minute when former Wolf Adlene Guedioura helped Chris Cohen’s cross into the path of Lansbury who buried a low shot into the corner of the net from just outside the box.

Six minutes later Wolves were a whisker away from equalising after Ebanks-Blake had been sandwiched between two defenders in the same position, 25-yards out, as in earlier in the game. 

Again Sako took the kick but this time he struck the underside of the bar with Sigurdarson, from an impossible angle, unable to divert the rebound into the goal.

Half-Time: Forest 1 Wolves 0

Matt Doherty did well to clear a dangerous cross from Guedioura before Edwards set up a chance for Ebanks-Blake. But the striker was tightly marked with a defender either side of him and from a tight angle he could only find the side netting.

Some sparkling footwork by Sako saw him leaving his marker sat on the floor as he ran into the box but his low centre went straight to a Forest defender.

There was another chance for Wolves on the hour mark when Ebanks-B lake sent in a low, curling cross that Darlow pawed away from the feet of Edwards.

A double switch by Dean Saunders saw Tongo Doumbia and David Davis replacing Karl Henry and O’Hara respectively.

Wolves drew level in the 65th minute following a Sako corner. Doherty rose at the far post to send a towering header over a crowded goalmouth and into the net.

But the joy proved to be short-lived as it took the home side just two minutes to regain the lead with Lansbury getting his second of the game, an angled drive that left Ikeme without a prayer.

Another substitution followed immediately with Kevin Doyle replacing Sigurdarson.

Doherty got forward again breaking into the right of the Forest box before hitting a low cross that just needed a touch, but went through to the far side.

Seven minutes from time Wanderers were reduced to ten men when Ward was adjudged to have fouled his former team-mate Greg Halford. On as a substitute, Halford had broken clear from a Wolves attack and was through on goal when he was challenged.

In the 90th minute, the other two Forest substitutes combined to give the home side a third goal. Guy Moussi picked out Lewis McGugan and he made no mistake from the 18-yard line.

Forest: Darlow, Collins (capt), Guedioura, Cohen, Reid (Halford 75), Cox, Lansbury, Blackstock (McGugan 35), Majewski (Moussi 62), Ward, Jara.

Unused subs: Hutchinson, Greening, Sharp, Evtimov.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Ward, Henry (capt) (Doumbia 62), Johnson, Gorkss, Edwards, Sigurdarson (Doyle 68), Ebanks-Blake, O’Hara (Davis 62), Sako.

Unused subs: De Vries, Hunt, Robinson, Batth.

Sending-Off: Ward (83 – professional foul). 

Referee: M. Naylor.

Attendance: 23,350 (2,267 away supporters).

Wolves Under 18s 1(Moli) Tottenham Hotspur 2


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.