Skip to main content


18:23 8th January 2011

Red Card And A Replay

Doncaster Rovers 2 (Sharp 41, Hayter 43)

Wolves 2 (Milijaš 38, Hunt-pen 58)

Wolves face a Molineux FA Cup replay against Doncaster Rovers following a four goal thriller at the Keepmoat Stadium that was marred by a controversial decision that saw the dismissal of George Elokobi 15 minutes from time.

Mick McCarthy made four changes for the tie with Kevin Foley and Ronald Zubar dropping out through injury. The other omissions were Kevin Doyle and Wayne Hennessey who were both named as substitutes.

Into the side came Marcus Hahnemann, Stephen Ward, Nenad Milijaš and, making his debut at right-back, Matt Doherty. Christophe Berra captained the team as Wolves kicked-off defending the end of the ground that housed their supporters.

After just 30 seconds Ward volleyed inches wide from the edge of the box after he had run onto a low centre from Steven Fletcher.

In the second minute Billy Sharp drove a shot across the face of goal before Richard Stearman took the ball from halfway and unleashed a shot from 20-yards that forced a diving save from Neil Sullivan for an unproductive corner.

The lively exchanges continued and Sam Hird was next to try his luck for Rovers as he sent a rising drive narrowly wide of the far angle.

Berra was wide with a far post header after a corner from Matt Jarvis and then Wolves lost the services of Dave Edwards who limped off to be replaced by Dave Jones.

Milijaš was booked for conceding a free-kick and preventing it from being taken quickly but the Serb was all smiles in the 38th minute as he gave Wolves the lead with a contender for goal of the season.

There didn't seem to be any danger as he picked the ball up a good 30-yards out. But then he let fly with a tremendous shot that beat Sullivan all ends up.

But Doncaster heads didn't drop and within five minutes they were in front. Sharp took a pass from Mark Wilson and held off Stearman before netting with a low shot from just outside the box.

Worse followed with James Hayter hooking the ball home after a centre from John Oster to stun the Wolves supporters behind Hahnemann's goal.

Just before the break Stephen Hunt worked a shooting position but his effort was easily gathered by Sullivan.

Half-Time: Rovers 2 Wolves 1

Oster went into the book for a foul on Fletcher five minutes into the new half but Milijaš's free-kick went straight through to Sullivan. Shortly afterwards, Jones was too high with a shot from distance.

Wolves drew level in the 57th minute from the penalty spot. The ball broke to Jarvis just side the area and after he had been felled by Hird, Hunt drilled home the penalty (pictured).

There was some warm applause from the Wolves support when former Molineux defender George Friend went on as a substitute in place of James Chambers.

On the hour mark, Ward hooked over the bar from close quarters after Fletcher had headed down a Jarvis cross and then Ward had an overhead kick saved by the diving Sullivan after yet another centre from Jarvis.

Doyle replaced Fletcher for the final 20 minutes and seconds after his introduction he looked on as Sullivan tipped over a Ward header after Jarvis returned a half cleared Hunt corner into the box.

From Hunt's corner, Jones flicked the ball on forcing another fine save from Sullivan at the near post.

A superb ball from Milijaš released Jarvis who cut inside a defender before curling a shot onto the roof of the net.

Then came the Elokobi sending off after an horrific clash of heads with James Coppinger. Both players were watching the ball and both were laid out by the collision. When the Wolves defender groggily got to his feet, he was shown the red card.

It was a robust but genuine challenge and the dismissal seemed to be harsh to the extreme.

At that stage the visitors were well on top but the loss of a man saw Rovers finish the game on the front foot although the nearest thing to a winner came in stoppage time when Sullivan lost a low shot from Doyle with the ball trickling out for a corner.

Rovers: Sullivan, Chambers (Friend 64), Mills, O'Connor, Hird, Wilson, Oster, Lockwood (capt), Coppinger, Sharp, Hayter (Brooker 90).

Unused subs: Woods, Webster, Woods, Fairhurst.

Booking: Oster (50 - foul).

Wolves: Hahnemann, Doherty, Elokobi, Edwards (Jones 28), Berra (capt), Stearman, Jarvis, Milijaš, Ward, Fletcher (Doyle 69), Hunt.

Unused subs: Hennessey, Mujangi-Bia, Davis, Winnall, Batth.

Booking: Milijaš (33 - preventing free-kick from being taken).

Sending-Off: Elokobi (75 - reckless challenge).

Referee: A. Taylor.

Attendance: 8,616.

Blackburn Rovers Academy Under 18s 2 Wolves 2 (Ismail, McAlinden)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.