Skip to main content


15:54 2th October 2010

Wigan Woe

Wigan Athletic 2 (Gomez65, Rodallego 85)

Wolves 0

Two Wigan goals in the last third of the game shattered a Wolves team forced to play with ten men following the sending off of skipper Karl Henry after just 11 minutes. The defeat was the fourth in succession suffered by Wanderers.

Wolves kicked-off defending the end of the ground that housed over 2,000 noisy travelling supporters. There was just one change with Michael Mancienne coming in for Dave Jones as Mick McCarthy opted for a 4-4-3 system.

They witnessed a quite opening to the game in which Wolves did most of the pressing without unduly worrying home keeper Ali Al Habsi.

But Wolves were left with a mountainous task after they were reduced to ten men with only 11 minutes gone when Henry was shown a straight red for a reckless challenge on Jordi Gomez.

Gomez soon recovered and his 20-yard effort trickled harmlessly wide as the visitors adjusted to the reduction in their ranks.

In the 19th minute Wolves were awarded a free-kick 25-yards out after Steve Gohouri's foul on Kevin Doyle. Steven Fletcher took the kick which wasn't far away with the ball striking the net support at the back of the goal.

Franco Di Santo beat the offside trap in the box but his short cross was cut out by Mancienne before, at the other end, two Matt Jarvis corners were cleared by the Latics defence.

A low centre from Charles N'Zogbia just eluded Di Santo but Wolves were giving as good as they got despite only having ten men and after Maynor Figueroa had fouled Kevin Foley to the right of the Wigan box, Jarvis floated in the free-kick which was too high for everyone.

Most of Wigan's goal attempts were coming from distance and when Hugo Rodallega tried his luck from inside the 'd' his effort sailed high over the bar.

Fletcher was harshly shown the yellow card for a high kick that caught Di Santo during a scramble in the Wigan area. A minute later Di Santo tried a shot inside the Wolves box that hit Jody Craddock and bounced out for a corner.

N'Zogbia's corner was half cleared back to him and when he returned the ball into the box it went through the goalmouth and out dangerously close to the far post.

Just before the break Hendry Thomas was booked for a late challenge on Dave Edwards.

Half-Time: Wigan 0 Wolves 0

Within seconds of the restart Marcus Hahnemann pulled off a terrific save to deny Gomez who latched onto Rodallega's pass and shot for goal from just 10-yards out. But the American keeper parried the ball and as it rolled towards the line Foley ran across to clear.

Hahnemann then had more routine saves to make as Di Santo and then James McCarthy shot straight at him from positions just outside the box.

Seven minutes into the half George Elokobi was sent on in place of Fletcher.

Jarvis nearly broke through as he darted into the area but he was dispossessed by Emmerson Boyce as he was about to shoot.

But in the 65th minute it was Wigan that took the lead after Edwards was penalised for a challenge on N'Zogbia on the 18-yard. Gomez curled the free-kick over the wall and into the net off the underside of the bar.

Hopes of a repeat at the Wigan end after Gohouri had fouled Doyle some 30-yards out on the left, were dashed when Jarvis curled the free-kick wide of the far post.

Hahnemann had to have his wits about him as Di Santo struck a speculative volley from wide on the right - the keeper pushing the ball behind.

In an attempt to salvage something from the game boss McCarthy sent on two strikers, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Marcus Bent, in place of Stephen Ward and Edwards for the closing minutes.

Five minutes from time Wigan's hold on the three points grew stronger still as they moved into a two goal advantage. N'Zogbia pushed a short through pass into the area and as Christophe Berra tried to shepherd back to Hahnemann but Rodallega got a touch to help it into the net.

Wigan: Al Habsi, Gohouri, Alcaraz (capt), McCarthy, Thomas (Diame 74), Di Santo (Watson 85), N'Zogbia, Gomez, Boyce, Rodallega, Figueroa (Stam 60).

Unused subs: Kirkland, Boselli, Moses, Caldwell.

Booking: Thomas (45 - foul).

Wolves: Hahnemann, Foley, Ward (Ebanks-Blake 82), Mancienne, Craddock, Berra, Edwards (Bent 82), Henry (capt), Fletcher (Elokobi 52), Doyle, Jarvis.

Unused subs: Van Damme, Stearman, Hennessey, Jones.

Bookings: Fletcher (41 - foul), Berra (90+3 - foul).

Sewnding-Off: Henry (11 - foul).

Referee: L. Mason.

Attendance: 14,042.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.