Skip to main content


18:07 2th April 2011

Wolves Out Of Toon

Newcastle United 4 (Nolan 22, Ameobi 45, Lovenkrands 50, Gutierrez 90+3)

Wolves 1 (Ebanks-Blake 58)

Three down shortly after the interval, Wolves were left with a mountain to climb at Newcastle but their only reward was a Sylvan Ebanks-Blake strike before an injury time fourth for The Magpies gave the scoreline a flattering look in their favour.

As expected there was just the one change to the side that had started against Aston Villa with Ebanks-Blake coming in for the injured Kevin Doyle.

Wolves kicked-off defending the end of St James' Park that held the travelling support in its upper tier.

Inside the first minute Wayne Hennessey saved at the feet of Peter Lovenkrands and Steve Harper in the United goal fielded an Ebanks-Blake header.

In the fourth minute George Elokobi was booked for a late challenge on Joey Barton on the halfway line. Barton took the free-kick himself finding Mike Williamson whose header drew a fine diving save from Hennessey.

Nenad Milijaš was yellow carded on 15 minutes after catching Barton who again took the free-kick himself lifting the ball into the box for Kevin Nolan who saw his powerful header plucked out of the air by the agile Hennessey.

A clash of heads between Elokobi and Lovenkrands in the Wolves area resulted in treatment for both players but, after a short break in play, were then able to resume.

Newcastle moved into a 22nd minute lead when Shola Ameobi headed the ball into the path of Nolan who sprinted between Kevin Foley and Richard Stearman before poking the ball past the advancing Hennessey.

Shortly afterwards a Barton corner caused a scramble in the box and it was several seconds before the ball was eventually cleared by the Wanderers defence.

A lofted pass into the box from Stearman found Matt Jarvis but Danny Simpson managed to block the winger's angled attempt at the expense of a corner.

Jamie O'Hara's flag-kick was half cleared and, when the ball was returned to the danger area, Jarvis hit a low cross that was deflected into Harper's arms by a defender.

On the half-hour mark Mick McCarthy moved to a 4-4-2 formation from 4-3-3 when he swapped Milijaš for Steven Fletcher.

Ebanks-Blake squeezed between Williamson and Danny Simpson but the home duo got back to deny the striker before he could get his shot away.

Christophe Berra appeared to be caught in the face by Ameobi and the normally placid Scot reacted angrily when he got to his feet. The referee eventually called over both captains - Karl Henry and Nolan - apparently to tell them to calm their men down.

In the 43rd minute Adam Hammill broke clear on the right and his path to goal was clear before he was pulled back by Nolan who was perhaps lucky just to be shown the yellow card.

Just on half time Ameobi doubled Newcastle's advantage as he headed Lovenkrands centre past Hennessey. The keeper managed to push the ball onto the post but it bounced into the net.

Half-Time: Newcastle 2 Wolves 0

Twice in the opening minute after the break, Newcastle could have gone further ahead. Hennessey did brilliantly to block when Barton looked odds on to score before Lovenkrands hit the outside of the near post from the tightest of angles - virtually on the by-line.

But the respite for Wolves was brief as Lovenkrands made it three with a simple goal after he connected with Barton's low centre in the 50th minute.

Jonas Gutierrez was booked for a tackle on Foley and then Michael Kightly went on for his first senior football since November, 2009, when he replaced Hamill.

Danny Guthrie fouled Berra on the edge of the Newcastle 'D' but O'Hara's free-kick was too high to trouble Harper.

But the Geordie keeper was beaten in the 58th minute as Ebanks-Blake tucked away Jarvis's precision pull back (pictured).

Just two minutes later Fletcher was inches away from a second but his header from O'Hara's deep free-kick from the left went just the wrong side of the post.

Substitute James Perch joined the list in the referee's book after he had fouled Kightly.

In the 72nd minute a corner from Jarvis was met by the head of Elokobi and a goal looked certain until Perch popped up to head off the line.

With the minutes ticking away Stephen Ward went on in place of Elokobi.

Wolves continued to press and Jarvis curled a shot narrowly over the angle before a Kightly drive was deflected behind for a corner.

Jarvis's kick was cleared upfield and Gutierrez broke away and buried a low shot into the far corner to give the final scoreline something of an unjustified look as far as Wolves were concerned.

Newcastle: Harper, Coloccini, Nolan (capt), Williamson, Barton (Taylor 89), Guthrie, Lovenkrands (Ranger 68), Simpson, Gutierrez, Ameobi, Ferguson (Perch 58).

Unused subs: Campbell, Krul, Tavernier, Kuqi.

Bookings: Nolan (43 - foul), Gutierrez (53 - foul), Perch (62 - foul), Ranger (68 - foul), Ameobi (88 - preventing free-kick from being taken).

Wolves: Hennessey, Foley, Elokobi (Ward 81), O'Hara, Berra, Stearman, Hammill (Kightly 54), Henry (capt), Ebanks-Blake, Milijaš (Fletcher 30), Jarvis.

Unused subs: Hahnemann, Craddock, Jones, Mancienne.

Bookings: Elokobi (4 - foul), Milijaš (15 - foul), O'Hara (43 - dissent).

Referee: M. Dean.

Attendance: 49,939.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 3 (Gorman 2, Forde)Crewe Alexandra 1.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.