Skip to main content


18:29 20th September 2009

Fulham Felled

Wolves 2 (Doyle 18, Edwards 50)

Fulham 1 (Murphy-pen 66)

Despite a few nervy moments in the closing stages, Wolves deservedly won for the first time at home this season beating Fulham 2-1 thanks to goals from Kevin Doyle, his first for the club, and Dave Edwards.

The Cottagers hit back with a Danny Murphy penalty midway through the second-half but the three points were deposited in the Molineux account at the final whistle.

Mick McCarthy made three changes with Edwards, George Elokobi and Segundo Castillo, who was making his debut, coming in for Matt Hill, Richard Stearman and Nenad Milijaš.

Wolves kicked off attacking the South Bank end and the first goal attempt fell to Doyle who fired wide from 25-yards.

Greg Halford's long throw was headed clear of a crowded area and then a Doyle header drifted wide after Elokobi had pumped a cross into the box as Wolves made the early running.

Doyle won the first corner of the game off Paul Konchesky but Elokobi was penalised for a push as he went for Matt Jarvis's flag kick.

Another long throw from Halford led to Wolves moving into the lead in the 18th minute. Christophe Berra helped on Halford's throw and Doyle ran in to bullet a header into the net.

Doyle ran to the crowd after scoring - an action which earned him a booking before play restarted.

Castillo, who looked to be enjoying his central midfield role, tried his luck with a long range effort which dipped but was wide of the mark.

Jarvis's persistence saw him win the ball John Pantsil and cross. Doyle flicked the ball on with his head but it went behind both Edwards and Andy Keogh before being cleared.

With 32 minutes on the clock Fulham made their first real threat on Wayne Hennessey's goal as Bobby Zamora cut in from the left and hit an angled shot that went behind off Michael Mancienne. Murphy's overhit corner went out for a throw on the far side.

Just before the break Keogh found the back of the net but was offside as he ran onto Halford's through pass. At the other end Elokobi ran across and made a last ditch challenge to save the day as Clint Dempsey broke clear.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Fulham 0

Seconds after the resumption Andy Johnson needed attention after being accidentally caught on the head by Berra as he attempted to clear.

Wolves went two up the 50th minute following a move started and finished by Edwards. He pushed a pass forward to Keogh and was in position to take a squared return pass from the Irish striker. Edwards beat Mark Schwarzer a cracking shot into the roof of the net from the edge of the box.

Brede Hangeland, under pressure from Jarvis, played Schwarzer in trouble with a back pass and the keeper only just managed to clear as Edwards charged in. As the pace of the game heated up, Hennessey was quickly of his line to save at close range from Johnson.

Aaron Hughes had Schwarzer to thank when he headed a Keogh cross towards his own goal, the Australian managing to deflect the ball onto the bar to save his team-mate's blushes.

Then a Schwarzer booted clearance fell to Castillo 35-yards out. The Ecuadorian immediately planted a shot back towards goal but the keeper had returned to his line and he gathered comfortably.

Hennessey, with a fine diving save, managed to parry a fierce drive from Dickson Etuhu and when Johnson latched onto the loose ball he was flagged offside.

Fulham were enjoying their best spell of the game and after Zamora's first touch had let him down as he tried to control Johnson's through ball, Damien Duff screwed an angled shot wide of the far post.

But, in the 66th minute, the visitors reduced the deficit when Mancienne pulled back Zamora in front of goal. Murphy sent Hennessey the wrong way from the spot.

Stefan Maierhofer replaced Edwards shortly afterwards and he had been on the pitch for less than a minute when he volleyed over the bar after controlling a cross from Jarvis.

Fulham also made changes with former Albion men Jonathan Greening and Diomansy Kamara replacing Konchesky and Etuhu respectively. Then Sylvan Ebanks-Blake joined the fray when he went on for Doyle.

There was a let off for Wolves following Duff's free-kick. The home defence charged out but there was no flag and after both sides hesitated Zamora half hit a shot that went through to Kamara. Hennessey blocked but the ball spun towards goal with Elokobi running back to steer it behind for a corner.

Michael Kightly went on in place of Jarvis for the last five minutes and there were bookings for Pantsil and Halford as the seconds ticked away.

Fulham piled forward in the four minutes of stoppage time but the home defence were in no mood for any slip ups.

Wolves: Hennessey, Halford, Elokobi, Edwards (Maierhofer 70), Mancienne, Berra, Castillo, Henry (capt), Doyle (Ebanks-Blake 78), Keogh, Jarvis (Kightly 86).

Unused subs: Hahnemann, Milijaš, Zubar, Hill.

Bookings: Doyle (18 - goal celebration), Halford (90 - foul).

Fulham: Schwarzer, Konchesky (Greening 71), Pantsil, Hangeland, Johnson, Murphy (capt), Duff, Hughes, Etuhu (Kamara 78), Dempsey (Davies 61), Zamora.

Unused subs: Zuberbuhler, Baird, Gera, Smalling.

Booking: Pantsil (87 - foul).

Referee: K. Friend.

Attendance: 27,670.

Huddersfield Town Academy Under 18s 7 Wolves 4 (Rooney 2, McAlindon, Griffiths)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.