Skip to main content


19:25 24th April 2010

Super Sub Sylvan Saves The Day

Wolves 1 (Ebanks-Blake 81)

Blackburn Rovers 1 (Nelsen 28)

Substitute Sylvan Ebanks-Blake had a packed Molineux on its feet as he headed a late point saving equaliser against Blackburn to all but ensure top flight football for Wolves next season.

Only Burnley can now condemn Mick McCarthy's men to the drop and for that to happen The Clarets would have to win their remaining three games whilst Wolves lost to Portsmouth and Sunderland.

There was just one change to the Wanderers line up with Stephen Ward coming in for injury victim Matt Jarvis.

Rovers kicked-off attacking the North Bank end on a sunny spring afternoon..

The opening minutes were lively but chanceless although Marcus Hahnemann had to pluck a long throw from Morten Gamst Pedersen out of the air.

Ward was slightly fortunate not to concede a penalty in the ninth minute when he caught Michel Salgado but referee Mark Clattenburg waved play on.

Dave Edwards nodded a Ward centre back to Kevin Doyle but the striker had two defenders tightly marking him and the ball was headed clear.

There was a let off for Wolves in then 18th minute when Steven Nzonzi crossed for Nikola Kalinic to head against the outside of a post.

A probing cross from Doyle was headed behind by a defender as Edwards charged in. Dave Jones took the flag kick and when the ball was half cleared back to him, he fired into the side netting.

A volley from Nzonzi was headed behind by George Elokobi, but from the resultant corner, taken by Gamst Pedersen, Rovers took a 28th minute lead. The ball went right through to the back post where visiting captain Ryan Nelsen was on hand to force it over the line with his shin.

Doyle headed over after a centre from a Ward who, shortly afterwards, drilled in a low cross that was cut out by Rovers keeper Paul Robinson.

Chris Iwelumo was sent on in place of Edwards as Wolves moved from 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 formation.

In first-half stoppage time Nzonzi tripped Ward just a yard to the left of the Rovers box. Kevin Foley flicked the free-kick up to Jones who volleyed a cross that Jody Craddock met at the far post but, from an acute angle, he fired across the face of goal.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Rovers 1

Blackburn replaced Yildray Basturk with David Dunn at the start of the second-half.

Salgado fouled Doyle some 25-yards out and Jones's free-kick drew a fine save from Robinson after the wall failed to stop it.

Jones took the corner conceded and after the ball had been headed out on the far side, Elokobi's long throw was nodded on by Iwelumo to Craddock whose volley was a yard too high.

After Gamst Pedersen had been booked for a late tackle on Ronald Zubar, another Jones corner hit Gael Givet and flew towards the net only for Phil Jones to clear off the line.

Former Molineux midfielder Keith Andrews replaced Kalinic and after Hahnemann had wrongly been penalised for a back pass from Craddock, Andrews shot over the bar after the free-kick had been touched back to him.

Midway through the half Nenad Milijaš went on in place of Michael Mancienne and shortly after Christophe Berra fouled another ex Wolf, Jason Roberts, just outside the Wolves box. Gamst Pedersen's free-kick was confidently claimed by Hahnemann who cleared upfield for Milijaš whose 22-yard shot bobbled well wide.

Doyle was off target after a Jones corner and then Jones volleyed high over the bar after a Foley cross had been headed out.

Wolves made a final change when Ebanks-Blake replaced Foley shortly before Hahnemann beat away a volley from Gamst Pedersen.

But Molineux erupted in the 81st minute as Ebanks-Blake headed a Ward cross against the inside of the post and into the net (pictured).

Hahnemann saved a shot on the turn from Roberts and Ebanks-Blake did likewise with a similar effort at the other end.

But there were a few hearts in mouths in the final minute of the 90 when Andrews took a return pass from substitute Franco De Santo and hit a low shot that smacked against the foot of the near post and bounced behind.

Wolves: Hahnemann, Zubar, Elokobi, Mancienne (Milijaš 66), Craddock (capt), Berra, Foley (Ebanks-Blake 79), Edwards (Iwelumo 37), Doyle, D. Jones, Ward.

Unused subs: Hennessey, Stearman, Halford, Guedioura.

Rovers: Robinson, Givet, Nelsen (capt), Roberts (Di Santo 85), Gamst Pedersen, Nzonzi, Basturk (Dunn 45), Olsson, Kalinic (Andrews 57), Salgado, P. Jones.

Unused subs: Brown, Hoilett, Linganzi, Jacobsen.

Booking: Gamst Pedersen (54 - foul).

Referee: M. Clattenburg.

Attendance: 28,967.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 1 (Ford) Sunderland 1

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.