Skip to main content


18:12 13th March 2010

A Little Bit Of Daylight

Burnley 1 (Thompson 73)

Wolves 2 (Jarvis 26, Carlisle-OG 47)

Wolves put a little bit of daylight between themselves and Burnley at the bottom end of the Premier League by edging a tight contest at Turf Moor to record their third away victory of the season

Burnley kicked-off attacking the Fishwick Stand end of the ground that housed 2,300 travelling fans, and inside the opening minute Martin Paterson hooked a shot wide from close range.

Marcus Hahnemann then turned a 20-yard drive from Chris Eagles behind before confidently taking a long-range effort from home skipper, Graham Alexander.

Wolves soon settled and after Matt Jarvis had over-hit a cross from the left, Brian Jensen saved a header from Dave Jones after Kevin Foley had supplied the centre.

Jensen then had to race from his area in an attempt to clear but he was beaten to the ball by Kevin Doyle. The striker was barged into by the Danish keeper who, after receiving treatment, was shown the yellow card. Dave Jones curled the free-kick wide of the far post.

Andre Bikey turned a driven cross from Jarvis behind for an unproductive corner and, midway through the half, Hahnemann had to touch over a Danny Fox free-kick following Adlene Guedioura's late challenge on Eagles 25-yards out from the Wolves goal.

A mistake by Tyrone Mears led to Wanderers taking a 26th minute lead. The defender tried to head Doyle's flick on back to Jensen but Jarvis spotted the opportunity and intercepted touching the ball past the keeper before running behind him and tucking the ball over the line from point-blank range.

Doyle was well wide with a shot on the turn before Fox, who appeared to have suffered a back injury, was replaced by Stephen Jordan.

The Clarets were piling on the pressure as the half drew to a close and Clarke Carlisle nodded Mears' free-kick on to David Nugent who turned to hit a shot that bounced and hit the top of the bar on its way behind.

Guedioura was booked after tripping Eagles and, in stoppage time, Bikey's glancing header from Eagles' corner was yards wide of the mark.

Half-Time: Burnley 0 Wolves 1

Wolves made the perfect start to the new half increasing their advantage as the game moved into the 47th minute. Jarvis darted into the box and pulled the ball back for Ronald Zubar who helped it on into the path of Guedioura. He let fly from 20-yards and the ball, which was going wide, hit Carlisle and went in beyond Jensen's dive.

There were loud home appeals for a penalty when Peterson drove a cross against Christophe Berra. The ball appeared to hit the Scottish defender in the stomach rather than on his hand or arm.

Jarvis was unlucky to be flagged offside when he broke clear on the left and raced unhindered towards Jensen's goal. Replays later showed he was onside when he took the ball.

Burnley boss Brian Laws incurred the wrath of the home support when he made a double switch in the 54th minute with Steven Thompson and Robbie Blake coming on for Bikey and Blake.

Doyle was inches away from a third Wolves goal after he had run onto a Karl Henry through ball and hit an angled shot that beat Jensen and just went wide of the far post.

Almost immediately, Michael Mancienne became Wolves' first substitute when he went on in place of Guedioura.

Burnley were denied by the woodwork for a second time when Blake beat Zubar as he ran into the box and fired in a low cross that hit the foot of the near post and bounced clear.

Wolves made a second change with Andy Keogh taking the place of Jones just before Burnley pulled a goal back in the 73rd minute.

Mears' cross was headed out by Jody Craddock but only as far as Alexander whose bouncing shot was turned into the net by Thompson.

Mancienne, for a late challenge on Steven Elliott, and Berra for a foul on Nugent, were both booked as Burnley went in search of an equalizer which nearly arrived in the 79th minute when Alexander's rising drive wasn't too far over.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake was the final substitute for the visitors when he replaced Jarvis in the 79th minute.

Mancienne went on a surging run through the heart of the Clarets defence and after taking a return pass from Kevin Foley he hit a stinging shot that Jensen just managed to touch around the post.

Keogh went into the book, apparently for time wasting whilst about to take a corner, and Doyle was forced wide by Carlisle when he looked on for a shot at goal.

In stoppage time, of which there were four minutes, Hahnemann parried a shot from Blake with Craddock completing the clearance.

Burnley: Jensen, Alexander (capt), Carlisle, Paterson, Mears, Cort, Bikey (Blake 54), Nugent, Elliott (Thompson 54), Eagles, Fox (Jordan 40).

Unused subs: Duff, Weaver, Edgar, Rodriguez.

Booking: Jensen (12 - foul).

Wolves: Hahnemann, Zubar, Ward, Guedioura (Mancienne 59), Craddock, Berra, Foley, Henry (capt), Doyle, Jones (Keogh 70), Jarvis (Ebanks-Blake 79).

Unused subs: Hennessey, Elokobi, Vokes, Milkijaš.

Bookings: Guedioura (45 - foul), Mancienne (74 - foul), Berra (76 - foul), Keogh (84 - time-wasting).

Referee: S. Bennett.

Attendance: 21,217.

Barnsley Academy Under 18s 0 Wolves 2 (Landell, McAlindon)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.